Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sufjan Stevens
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but from what I have heard of his music it does not quite seem to fit any of the other specific genre threads.

I have heard just enough from this guy to intrigue me. He played in Perth recently but I gave the show a miss, partly because of the logistics of getting to the venue. I am wondering if I made the wrong decision. I'm not sure if the show was sold out, but it was certainly well attended. and a number of reviewers have suggested he is the best thing to happen so far in the 2010's, musically speaking.

I don't think he gets played on any of the commercial stations, but I have heard him a few times on community radio. in particular there is a song called (I think) Chicago, that I found myself wanting to hear again and again. It's deceptively simple - there is nothing special about the production, it's simply the tune and the lyrics, and this is how music used to be before technology seemed to take over. Don't get me wrong, I love the way some musicians employ technology - people such as Vangelis and Klaus Schulze and many others - but there is something to be said for a song that relies on nothing but the songwriter's craft in order to sound great. It reminded me of another artist formerly known as Stevens, who now goes by the name of Yusuf or Yusuf Islam.

Anyway, I wondered whether anyone else here has any thoughts or information to share about Sufjan Stevens. Best album(s) to check out?
I've posted his Age Of Adz album here twice
didn't work for me mate

http://www.music-discussion.com/showthre...post124143

that's the only one I have heard though

Music Head Wrote:I've posted his Age Of Adz album here twice
didn't work for me mate

http://www.music-discussion.com/showthre...post124143

that's the only one I have heard though
I just read your two previous reviews, and was somewhat surprised by your reaction to the music, which was quite at odds with my impressions of the songs of his that I have heard. I therefore decided to read up a little on Wikipedia.

It seems that, like Beck - who you mention as a comparison - Stevens' style changes quite a bit, and one album may sound very different to another. I guess that means one has to be very selective rather than plunging at random into his catalogue.
Carrie & Lowell and Illinois are good albums!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Sufjan Stevens - Javelin Music Head 0 358 21-10-2023, 12:03
Last Post: Music Head
  Shakin' Stevens "echoes of our times" CRAZY-HORSE 1 631 23-09-2016, 23:55
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  SUFJAN STEVENS "carrie and lovell" CRAZY-HORSE 0 989 02-04-2015, 23:06
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE