Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I read the news today, oh boy!
There is a huge fire blazing in Cape Town on the slopes of Table Mountain around Rhodes Memorial and above Newlands. The university has had to be evacuated - all the students in the digs have been moved out, not sure what's happened to the main building/s - there are concerns about some of the labs. At least one historic landmark has been destroyed - Mostert's Mill, dating back to the 1790's. Very sad - I can smell the fire which is 30 km's away. Not helped by the fact that it's a scorching hot day!! Or was, until the smoke blocked out the sun. A haze is hanging over the whole peninsula now.  
https://www.capetownetc.com/news/watch-t...uct-burns/
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Very sad news Ruby. When I was a kid a group of us used to walk up the path to Rhodes Memorial fairly often. We used to climb to the Ranger's Hut on Devil's Peak. To get to the bridge that crossed the highway you had to go past Mostert's Mill. Been in there many times too. And Rhodes Memorial was a favourite spot on a family day out. The restaurant used to make these amazing scones. Sad to see it all disappear. UCT library going up in smoke is going to be a huge loss.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Legendary scones, they were still good when I last visited. Absolutely awful about Mostert’s Mill and the library. They are saying that the fire shutters in the library were triggered in time so not all is lost but there will still be a lot of important material irretrievably gone. Huge damage to property and devastating for the creatures – that part always freaks me out - the SPCA is very busy - they're amazing. People were being evacuated from around Devil’s Peak, Walmer Estate and Woodstock this morning, but it seems to be under control now, thank goodness.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(15-04-2021, 08:14)Jerome Wrote: CH, your last few posts have just confirmed what I have long suspected. The human race is stark raving bloody mad.

and this just confirms it even further mate:  Transgender schoolboy, 15, who took his own life has TWO funerals and separate headstones after his parents battled in court over the gender and name he would be remembered by (msn.com)
“Sgt Pepper did its thing it was the album of the decade, maybe the Century. 
It was innovative with great songs, I’m glad I was on it but the ‘White’ album ended up a better album for me.” Ringo Starr
Good God what next. People are bloody bonkers. And the burning question is - which grave is the poor kid's body going to be laid to rest in? Or are we going to get to the point where the body is divided in two just so that the dumb parents can each have a sense of satisfaction? Stark raving mad. The undertakers are rubbing their hands in glee...

(19-04-2021, 20:54)Ruby Wrote: Legendary scones, they were still good when I last visited. Absolutely awful about Mostert’s Mill and the library. They are saying that the fire shutters in the library were triggered in time so not all is lost but there will still be a lot of important material irretrievably gone. Huge damage to property and devastating for the creatures – that part always freaks me out - the SPCA is very busy - they're amazing. People were being evacuated from around Devil’s Peak, Walmer Estate and Woodstock this morning, but it seems to be under control now, thank goodness.

Yes that bit about the animals bugs me too. I can't bear to think about the suffering. So bloody sad.
Amazing how stupid people can be. There is a new member on the site 'StarlightPR'. They claim to be a well known PR company for musicians but they are totally fake. How do I know? Every single one of the 'testimonials' their 'clients' have submitted have a twitter account associated with it. Not one of those accounts is real. Every single one does not exist. Try the links and see for yourself. And then there are the same spelling and grammatical errors all over the site, the constant repetition of certain words and phrases, all seemingly from different clients and the ridiculous notion that a premium campaign of 79,000 dollars is 'sold out'. Since when is a PR company going to turn away high-end business? Completely fake set up. Avoid at all costs.
^^
thanks for bringing this to my/our attention Jerome
i checked out the account and the links and subsequently banned the user for a fake/misleading account.
It was innovative with great songs, I’m glad I was on it but the ‘White’ album ended up a better album for me.” Ringo Starr
Here's another two nut jobs. The lengths people will go to never ceases to amaze me. 

https://nypost.com/2021/04/21/florida-co...nt-theirs/
^^
those wedding memories will last a lifetime for sure hahaha
some good news for a change:

the extremely talented Sir Anthony Hopkins wins best actor at the Oscars
https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/...d=msedgntp

and the excellent My Octopus Teacher won 'best documentary', great stuff!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird News, Stories, Thoughts, ect. InstantNoodles 30 5,062 21-03-2019, 15:57
Last Post: Jerome
  News from Mike Oldfield Jerome 2 1,385 29-10-2017, 13:19
  And in another uplifting news broadcast............... Jerome 0 1,069 05-11-2016, 06:01
  Hey CH - GOOD NEWS Jerome 2 1,660 26-08-2015, 04:42
  News you can use: Turntables jazzboCR 0 1,203 07-06-2015, 22:58
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Feelin' a bit down, a little bluesy today? jazzboCR 1 1,211 17-10-2014, 19:15
Last Post: SteveO
  Feeling a little goofy today... jazzboCR 0 1,084 02-10-2014, 21:33
  unbelievably funny news story... CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,129 07-08-2014, 16:20
Last Post: SteveO
  and now the bad news: Practice may not make perfect jazzboCR 11 3,071 14-07-2014, 04:37
  screaming hot news about some Dylan recordings jazzboCR 0 1,009 05-07-2014, 18:19