Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I read the news today, oh boy!
(01-06-2024, 10:19)Music Head Wrote: They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye

Too true. The eternal paradox. People flock to places seeking the lifestyle they desire and the very act of them doing that changes it.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(01-06-2024, 10:21)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: im pretty sure we, here in in Australia, have more Rhodesians and South Africans than any other country in the world (other than their homelands obviously). a fact i could be wrong but i think i remember hearing it somewhere in the late 1990s.

there are two sayings that seem to nearly always ring true in most cases:
1: the grass is always greener on the other side
and
2: its better the devil you know

You had one of my ancestors there too, LOL - she was rather notorious.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(01-06-2024, 10:12)Ruby Wrote: ^Six to be precise. LOL!

Yes - agree re diverse points of view etc. Hugely complex. It's interesting that we are getting plenty of Europeans heading this way - Germans especially (and not that surprisingly at this time). They come on holiday and end up wanting a piece of what to them seems like paradise. I guess it's all relative. Funny old world!

A key attraction for Europeans heading to other parts of the world is that European governments and the EU as a whole are strangling the working man and woman with never-ending directives and rules for every little thing. Fines are dreamt up for the most ridiculous 'offenses'. Anything to wrestle a few more Euros out of your bank account. And people are getting fed up with the whole carry on. In Ireland for example they keep on adding stealth taxes to everything. A can of cooldrink is effectively taxed 4 times. They money you have earned to buy the thing in the first place is already taxed, then comes VAT, then comes a sugar tax on top of that and now you pay a 15c deposit/recycling fee on top of that as well. Irish Whiskey is more heavily taxed in Ireland than anywhere else in Europe and it is made here! In England recently a woman was fined 200 quid for dropping an empty envelope into a public rubbish bin. They fished it out of the bin, found her address on it and fined her. But just to make sure they got their money's worth they fined her husband/partner 200 quid as well because he happened to live at the same address despite her name being on the front of the envelope. 400 quid for putting an empty envelope in a public bin - insane! In Ireland a glass of wine in a restaurant is taxed 90 cents per glass (almost 20 ZAR) or 3 Euros 19 cents per bottle - the highest in Europe - in France it is 3 cents per bottle. Car hire in Ireland is around 5 or 6 times the average price on mainland Europe. Insurance in Ireland is a complete rip-off. As is the cost of childcare - because of insurance of course. Europe is choking itself to death with taxes and directives. And get this - In Ireland politicians are only required to be in office for two years in order to receive a full pension. There are many advantages to your South African lifestyle when you compare it to Europe.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
What bloody next.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/singer-cara-di...09420.html

BTW Cara Dillon was the voice behind Mike Oldfield's 'Man in the Rain' single.
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unbelievably funny news story... CRAZY-HORSE 2 1,842 24-11-2023, 11:36
Last Post: JeromeD
  Weird News, Stories, Thoughts, ect. InstantNoodles 30 6,511 21-03-2019, 15:57
Last Post: Jerome
  News from Mike Oldfield Jerome 2 1,968 29-10-2017, 13:19
  And in another uplifting news broadcast............... Jerome 0 1,638 05-11-2016, 06:01
  Hey CH - GOOD NEWS Jerome 2 2,265 26-08-2015, 04:42
  News you can use: Turntables jazzboCR 0 1,533 07-06-2015, 22:58
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Feelin' a bit down, a little bluesy today? jazzboCR 1 1,662 17-10-2014, 19:15
Last Post: SteveO
  Feeling a little goofy today... jazzboCR 0 1,658 02-10-2014, 21:33
  and now the bad news: Practice may not make perfect jazzboCR 11 4,487 14-07-2014, 04:37
  screaming hot news about some Dylan recordings jazzboCR 0 1,344 05-07-2014, 18:19