Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncut magazine Neil Young 'ultimate guide'
[Image: 270206neilyoungbook.jpg]

February sees Uncut release another of their special edition artist profile magazines,
this time its Neil Young...
will be a great read for anyone interested in this man's career, and even for those who aren't
big Neil fans it will give an in depth understanding into his psychy...

heres the preview from the website of Uncut:

For even the most obsessive fan, it can sometimes be tough to keep up with Neil Young. At 71, he remains more restless, unpredictable and hyper-productive than any other artist of a comparable age and reputation. Since 2000, The Rolling Stones have released two new albums, while Bob Dylan has managed seven (eight, I guess, if you count Triplicate). Bruce Springsteen has also produced seven; Tom Waits, a mere four.
In that time, Young has come up with two autobiographies, eight personally curated archive releases, one imaginatively conceptual live album, five films, an environmentally friendly car and a new audio format, plus the small matter of 14 new studio albums. It’s an eccentric and gripping, if not always magnanimously received, body of work that tells the tale of an artist driven to spontaneous creation, whim, rough-hewn experiments and rapid emotional responses that pay little heed to the expectations of his paymasters and, sometimes, his fans.

These are themes that run through the 148 pages of our deluxe, updated Ultimate Music Guide to Neil Young, out on Thursday in the UK available to buy here now (along with a load of our other Ultimate Music Guides). For this comprehensive attempt to make sense of Young’s sprawling catalogue, we’ve found a host of interviews from the NME, Melody Maker and Uncut archives that show how, among many things, he’s been consistent in his contrary single-mindedness, his imperturbable desire to keep moving forward. “I’ve never liked it, when they shout out for the old songs immediately after you’ve finished a new one,” he complains to MM’s Ray Coleman in 1976. “Kinda deflating… To hell with the old ones!”

Our reviews of every one of his albums provide a similarly compelling narrative, finding significant echoes and hidden treasures on even his most misunderstood and neglected ’80s records, right up to 2016’s Earth and Peace Trail. “You can’t worry about what people think. I never do. I never did, really,” Young told Uncut in 2012. And here’s the proof: one of rock’s greatest runs, anatomised and celebrated in all its weird, ragged glory…

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^^ Every musician with a long career has to deal with the issue of people wanting to hear the old stuff, which they are probably tired of playing and would rather deliver the new. Bands like AC/DC and Status Quo probably don't care, they found their comfort zone long ago, but more progressive artists and even people like Neil Young must find it annoying.

I guess it goes with the job. You want to challenge the listeners, but there is also an obligation to keep them happy if you want them to keep paying you for your efforts. It's much the same as an office worker making the same boring journey to and from work every day; they tolerate it because they like the fact that they get money for doing the work.
i think youre 100% on the mark with AC/DC and Status Quo, i'd even put The Stones in that category...

with Neil Young,
he does release a lot of crap, but he is being experimental (for want of a better word),
he's always chasing "the next thing", sometimes it works, other times it goes up in flames faster than fuel that has been lit with a match.
live, he rarely plays the old classics (heart of gold, old man, comes a time etc), unless he is on tour deliberately doing the acoustic/folky thing.
he got sick of everyone wanting "harvest" back in the day, take a listen to the follow up albums, Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonights The Night,
for the next 20 years after Harvest was released people kept hounding him to do a follow up, but he resisted until 92-ish when he released "harvest moon",
that was done at a time and place of his choosing, not the fans,
hes always said, he does what he wants, not what the fans want, if they like it they buy it, if they don't like it, they wont buy it...

to a lesser extent Paul Weller and Elvis Costello are of a similar ilk, they do what they want to do, not what the fans expect,
the difference being Costello at least fills half his live shows with old hits, and Weller avoided Jam,Style Council material for a long while, and still only plays
half a dozen or so tracks from those early days in his live sets...

I guess there comes a time when you've given enough to the fans and just want to please yourself musically whether it is excepted by the public or not...
Costello rarely disappoints me with his albums, Weller has done so with his last three or four now, if he disappoints again.

back to Neil Young though,
it is rumoured he has some thirty to forty unreleased albums in his archives simply because he recorded them but got bored with them, stored them away because
he thought of other ideas that interested him more at that time that he wanted to tour with...
occasionally some of those older songs do resurface themselves on other albums later on...
he has a reputation for going off on different whims at the drop of a hat, pulling out of concert tours (especially in the 1970s/80s) because something else sparked
his imagination...
the amount of times he left CSN in the lurch halfway through tours is unbelievable, theyd get one their planes to travel to the next destination for the next show and Young
wouldn't arrive, he'd gone back home without telling anyone, just because he had an idea for a song or an album and he wanted to do it there and then...
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:the amount of times he left CSN in the lurch halfway through tours is unbelievable, theyd get one their planes to travel to the next destination for the next show and Young
wouldn't arrive, he'd gone back home without telling anyone, just because he had an idea for a song or an album and he wanted to do it there and then...
Yes that would definitely piss the other guys off, and so it should.

I think he even did that to Stephen Stills when there was"The Stills Young Band" - not good as Stills was his old Buffalo Springfield band-mate and the one who was most supportive of him in the CSNY club

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neil Young has issue with bootleggers CRAZY-HORSE 1 347 10-04-2022, 15:08
Last Post: Ruby
  lost Neil Young/Joni Mitchell tapes from 1968 discovered! CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,029 15-03-2021, 08:08
Last Post: Jerome
  the ultimate crude song without foul disgusting language CRAZY-HORSE 2 492 22-08-2020, 04:55
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Neil Finn's Bowie cover. CRAZY-HORSE 0 475 11-04-2020, 06:00
  The ultimate music connection SteveO 112 42,556 29-10-2019, 03:49
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  NEIL YOUNG loses home in Californian fires.. CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,250 13-11-2018, 13:23
Last Post: Music Head
  interesting Rolling Stone magazine Q & A with Neil Young: CRAZY-HORSE 0 918 25-04-2018, 23:34
  Uncut (magazine), Dave Gilmour interview: CRAZY-HORSE 1 657 03-04-2017, 18:00
Last Post: Jerome
  Some die young MFS 3 1,189 19-12-2016, 08:10
Last Post: MFS
  72 year old singer with young voice!!! amazing!!!!!!! gov 1 1,094 12-08-2016, 12:53
Last Post: iyouandme25