Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: Bryan Ferry and His Orchestra - Bitter-Sweet
#1
BRYAN FERRY AND HIS ORCHESTRA - Bitter-Sweet

[Image: 220px-Bryan_Ferry_%E2%80%93_Bitter-Sweet.png]

I like quite a bit of Roxy Music, the essence of which Ferry carries through on to some of his solo stuff as well, and he’s wise enough to surround himself with the crème de la crème of musicians - not that he’s too shabby, especially in the arrangements department. Buuuut - I’m familiar with him, essentially, as a rock artist with a distinctive, signature sound, and while I’m open to hearing something new (I didn’t mind his Dylanesque, for example) these covers in a 20’s jazz era style just don’t sound right to me! I dunno, I missed his previous excursion into things jazzy, and maybe this will work for those who aren’t nostalgically fond of Roxy Music, or those who have heard Bryan Ferry and his Orchestra in the context of the series Babylon Berlin, which is from whence inspiration for this this offering has sprung … however, it’s not for me. 

Sir B is not known for his bad taste, but IMHO, some things just shouldn’t be Great Gatsby’d. I want “While My Heart Is Still Beating” like it is on Avalon, not all flappered to death (albiet oh so smoothly), and the same goes for a few more from various albums (he’s taken three from Bête Noire, which is ironic). 

That said – if I had to choose one, it would be ...



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
apart from a handful of Roxy Music singles, including the brilliant cover of the Lennon classic "jealous guy" im simply not a fan of him or Roxy Music...
only album of theirs I own is "Avalon", while I appreciate the great sound production on it, im not a fan of it now...

I listened to the track you linked off the album Ruby and it did nothing for me, which is what I expected, but sometimes you never know, and on this occasion
my expectations, or lack thereof, were as I imagined them to be...
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#3
Try this one - https://youtu.be/JK2xxq52li4 - have this concert on DVD somewhere - or used to once upon a time. 

I quite like his solo album 'The Bride Stripped Bare'.

As far as Roxy Music is concerned 'Avalon' is the standout album and the live album 'The High Road' is very good as well. Only 4 tracks on it but they are all extended versions.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply
#4
^Will listen later - thanks. Love Avalon. Have you listened to his Boys and Girls Jerome? It's a very good album IMHO. Stellar personnel list, including MK and David Gilmour. 



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#5
No I have not. Will give it a whirl in the next few days and post my take on it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Lizzy McAlpine - Angel Music Head 0 14 7 hours ago
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Neil Young & Chrome Hearts - "second song" CRAZY-HORSE 0 122 22-09-2026, 11:16
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Sara Bareilles - Good Grief Music Head 0 149 15-09-2026, 11:56
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Sienna Spiro - Visitor Music Head 1 428 19-07-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Myles Smith - My Mess, My Heart, My Life Music Head 1 407 07-07-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Keith Urban - Flow State Music Head 1 479 29-06-2026, 12:07
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Niall Horan - Dinner Party Music Head 0 397 18-06-2026, 11:51
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Malcolm Todd - Do That Again Music Head 1 439 17-06-2026, 12:00
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Paul McCartney - "the boys of dungeon lane" CRAZY-HORSE 4 906 12-06-2026, 16:13
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Josh Groban - Cinematic Music Head 0 419 23-05-2026, 11:46
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: