Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: Andrew Bird - My Finest Work Yet
#1
ANDREW BIRD ~ My Finest Work Yet

[Image: image.jpg?c=96dCwQf2Sm4SNVHjhyULNSpQg_7i...xGXts=&f=5]
 
False modesty is certainly not one of Mr Bird’s faults, lol! One can most certainly depend on him for great strings and this release is no exception – they are lovely as is his finely-honed whistling. His voice is clear, both in register and in enunciation and his lyrics are clever, as always. The album moves along at a smart pace and is engaging, tackling some fairly weighty philosophical questions about the duality of human nature in more of a pop guise than any other format. Maybe alt-pop??

My Finest Work Yet is a helluva statement to make (despite the disclaimer) and given the nature of the cover art, hopefully not the end of it all! Looks a bit like an epitaph of sorts – a marble memorial – all a bit art deco and dramatic – presumably tongue in cheek!! I was reminded of a painting of the 18th century poet Thomas Chatterton – a precociously talented young man who basically burnt himself out at 17 years of age. Nobody else seems to be drawing this comparison so I expect I could be barking up the totally wrong tree! 

[Image: 300px-Henry_Wallis_-_Chatterton_-_Google...roject.jpg]
 
There’s really nothing not to like – it’s an absolutely listenable album and I'll probably give it another hearing, but I preferred his previous instrumental album Echolocations: River – personal taste I guess – I found it much more inventive and magical.

This is the lead track ... 



"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
love your linked track Ruby...awesome stuff....

im hearing Father John Misty and Jim James in his sound of that one track.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#3
I am a fan of Bird ! I find that his music is always of high quality somewhat along the lines of Elvis Costello !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#4
enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #141

courtesy of Spotify

a pleasant surprise for me
was familiar with him but had not listened to an album
love the violin plucking
and most of the album
thanks for the intro Ruby

single




Reply
#5
love your linked track also MH...
I really need to listen to the whole album
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#6
(09-04-2019, 12:29)Music Head Wrote: enters the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart at #141

courtesy of Spotify

a pleasant surprise for me
was familiar with him but had not listened to an album
love the violin plucking
and most of the album
thanks for the intro Ruby

single





Lovely stuff. Must investigate further. Based on the track above I reckon this will be a purchase.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Miley - Bass Persuades Music Head 0 58 29-09-2026, 12:45
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Prince - "timeless" CRAZY-HORSE 1 206 19-09-2026, 11:46
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: ADELA - PRIMA Music Head 0 148 16-09-2026, 11:07
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Alex Warren - Wildchild Music Head 1 195 11-09-2026, 22:26
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Audrey Hobert - Who's The Clown? Music Head 0 290 01-09-2026, 11:25
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: KATSEYE - WILD (ep) Music Head 0 216 26-08-2026, 11:20
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: FLO - Therapy At The Club Music Head 0 211 24-08-2026, 11:41
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Ariana Grande - Petal Music Head 0 234 12-08-2026, 11:24
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Shania Twain - Little Miss Twain Music Head 0 232 10-08-2026, 16:25
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Tyla - A*POP Music Head 0 246 08-08-2026, 11:30
Last Post: Music Head

Forum Jump: