Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Currently Watching?
Crazy Horse I can see from email that you replied to me but I can't see that reply, same issue as in the 'track I'm listening to' thread. But anyways, yes I love Emily Blunt and her versatility and I did start watching her Train film but didn't finish because a family emergency interrupted that. I need to find and finish it.

NOW I think I see the real problem, a new page number wasn't showing for some reason. CH I now see your reply at the top of a new page.
Don't look back
Keep on track to break the curse
Take the chance
Design your universe

~ Epica ~
(30-05-2021, 18:18)Ruby Wrote: Elvis Presley: The Searcher

[Image: 220px-Elvis_Presley-_The_Searcher.jpg]

A two-part documentary. I’m not at all an Elvis fan and don’t know that much about him – missed out completely on the furore, so this was an interesting watch for me. I can see how he drew people in, and that music was deep in his soul – he really did know those songs he loved, every single nuance of them. I wonder why he never wrote songs - anyone? Or was it simply his métier to interpret?

Amazing to think that rock n roll was pretty much helped on its way as the result of an involuntary leg twitch! From the perspective of this movie, it seems that Elvis was basically a commodity – a phenomenon of his time and a casualty too - someone who seems to have been fairly easily manipulated; the filmmakers play heavily on the fact that his whole career was controlled by Colonel Tom Parker – crazy to think he held so much sway over such a famous personality. It’s a mystery – these co-dependencies.

Priscilla Presley loans some commentary along the way, naturally – nicely sanitized I suspect! And Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen have a few words too. It covers his humble beginnings, military draft and film career, and then gets a bit rushed towards the end and his death – not sensationalised, which is good – and not gossipy, ditto. Feels like there’s a chunk they’re missing in the second part though. It’s worth an airing IMHO. Sorry to say that I’m still not a fan - missed that boat, along with a few others! But I am a little more understanding of what he was all about, and why.

(The pic of him in the poster shows brown eyes - contact lenses for a test shoot)

i finally got round to watching it Ruby and as you are aware i am a diehard Presley fan.

an excellent doco for sure,
probably the most complete one i have ever seen.

the faults as i saw them:

1: too much focus on the pre fame years (almost an hour), yeah we get it, his influences were deeply rooted in r+b, gospel, blues and black music in general, didnt need to reiterate that for so long.
2: again, too much focus on the 'hollywood years' (62-68).
3: not enough focus on the 'comeback/vegas years' of 70s tours.
4. would have liked it to end with the Memphis streets lined with fans awaiting the arrival of his coffin in the hearse and maybe some shots of the "meditation garden" where he is buried.
5: very little about his Dad (vernon) after his return from the Army.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the pro's:

1: the control and influence that Parker had over him.
2: the control Presley took back in the early 70s and the ultimate reigning back in by Parker.
3: the indepth analysis of Presley as a person (not the superstar image)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

to answer your questions Ruby:

1: Elvis was basically (to put it simply) a stereotypical dumb hillbilly who respected everone older than him , that is why he believed everything Parker told him, that and the fact Parker was a conman. he could easily manipulate someone as trusting and honest as Presley.
Presley (and other artists) didnt know any different, the whole superstar entertainer concept was totaly new with no blueprint so it was easy for Managers to rip off their performers who lets face it, werent businessmen, they were musicians.

2:  He did co-write a handful of tracks over his career, Love Me Tender was a re-write of an old pre Civil War song, All Shook Up was also partially credited to Presley along with a couple of others from memory.
he didnt have an interest in writing overall as far as im aware as he had the unique ability to interperate any song and make it his own vocally.

3:  you are correct Ruby,there is a huge part of his life/career missing from the second part which probably needed more airtime, like i stated, less of the prefame days to accomodate for that would have been welcomed.

4: on Priscilla, they did stay best of friends all his life, his estate was basically bankrupt at the time of his death due to bad management and huge gambling debts by Parker. she managed the Estate very well and with respect for his image and memory to build it into the biggest industry in Tennessee (literally the biggest!).
Yoko has done the same with John's legacy also IMO
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

not related but.....

Tom Hanks was filming a movie about Tom Parker in Australia last year around the time he caught Covid.
Hanks plays Parker in that movie,
im hoping it is a warts and all movie and not sanitized in any way.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i hope i at least clarified what i know about Elvis for you Ruby.

anyway.

Doco scores an almost perfect 9.5/10 from me  (and glad it stayed away from the salacious, gutter trash gossip)

if you want to further some listening/watching some Presley i would recommend:

"thats the way it is"  1970 album 

"peace in the valley:the complete gospel recordings"  double cd.

"aloha from hawaii"  live dvd from the 1973 concert.

"68 comeback special"  dvd from the tv special.
“Sgt Pepper did its thing it was the album of the decade, maybe the Century. 
It was innovative with great songs, I’m glad I was on it but the ‘White’ album ended up a better album for me.” Ringo Starr
K-Pop band BTS frenzy has hit new levels in Indonesia:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/companie...d=msedgntp
It was innovative with great songs, I’m glad I was on it but the ‘White’ album ended up a better album for me.” Ringo Starr
(11-06-2021, 12:20)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:
(30-05-2021, 18:18)Ruby Wrote: Elvis Presley: The Searcher

[Image: 220px-Elvis_Presley-_The_Searcher.jpg]

A two-part documentary. I’m not at all an Elvis fan and don’t know that much about him – missed out completely on the furore, so this was an interesting watch for me. I can see how he drew people in, and that music was deep in his soul – he really did know those songs he loved, every single nuance of them. I wonder why he never wrote songs - anyone? Or was it simply his métier to interpret?

Amazing to think that rock n roll was pretty much helped on its way as the result of an involuntary leg twitch! From the perspective of this movie, it seems that Elvis was basically a commodity – a phenomenon of his time and a casualty too - someone who seems to have been fairly easily manipulated; the filmmakers play heavily on the fact that his whole career was controlled by Colonel Tom Parker – crazy to think he held so much sway over such a famous personality. It’s a mystery – these co-dependencies.

Priscilla Presley loans some commentary along the way, naturally – nicely sanitized I suspect! And Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen have a few words too. It covers his humble beginnings, military draft and film career, and then gets a bit rushed towards the end and his death – not sensationalised, which is good – and not gossipy, ditto. Feels like there’s a chunk they’re missing in the second part though. It’s worth an airing IMHO. Sorry to say that I’m still not a fan - missed that boat, along with a few others! But I am a little more understanding of what he was all about, and why.

(The pic of him in the poster shows brown eyes - contact lenses for a test shoot)

i finally got round to watching it Ruby and as you are aware i am a diehard Presley fan.

an excellent doco for sure,
probably the most complete one i have ever seen.

the faults as i saw them:

1: too much focus on the pre fame years (almost an hour), yeah we get it, his influences were deeply rooted in r+b, gospel, blues and black music in general, didnt need to reiterate that for so long.
2: again, too much focus on the 'hollywood years' (62-68).
3: not enough focus on the 'comeback/vegas years' of 70s tours.
4. would have liked it to end with the Memphis streets lined with fans awaiting the arrival of his coffin in the hearse and maybe some shots of the "meditation garden" where he is buried.
5: very little about his Dad (vernon) after his return from the Army.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the pro's:

1: the control and influence that Parker had over him.
2: the control Presley took back in the early 70s and the ultimate reigning back in by Parker.
3: the indepth analysis of Presley as a person (not the superstar image)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

to answer your questions Ruby:

1: Elvis was basically (to put it simply) a stereotypical dumb hillbilly who respected everone older than him , that is why he believed everything Parker told him, that and the fact Parker was a conman. he could easily manipulate someone as trusting and honest as Presley.
Presley (and other artists) didnt know any different, the whole superstar entertainer concept was totaly new with no blueprint so it was easy for Managers to rip off their performers who lets face it, werent businessmen, they were musicians.

2:  He did co-write a handful of tracks over his career, Love Me Tender was a re-write of an old pre Civil War song, All Shook Up was also partially credited to Presley along with a couple of others from memory.
he didnt have an interest in writing overall as far as im aware as he had the unique ability to interperate any song and make it his own vocally.

3:  you are correct Ruby,there is a huge part of his life/career missing from the second part which probably needed more airtime, like i stated, less of the prefame days to accomodate for that would have been welcomed.

4: on Priscilla, they did stay best of friends all his life, his estate was basically bankrupt at the time of his death due to bad management and huge gambling debts by Parker. she managed the Estate very well and with respect for his image and memory to build it into the biggest industry in Tennessee (literally the biggest!).
Yoko has done the same with John's legacy also IMO
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

not related but.....

Tom Hanks was filming a movie about Tom Parker in Australia last year around the time he caught Covid.
Hanks plays Parker in that movie,
im hoping it is a warts and all movie and not sanitized in any way.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i hope i at least clarified what i know about Elvis for you Ruby.

anyway.

Doco scores an almost perfect 9.5/10 from me  (and glad it stayed away from the salacious, gutter trash gossip)

if you want to further some listening/watching some Presley i would recommend:

"thats the way it is"  1970 album 

"peace in the valley:the complete gospel recordings"  double cd.

"aloha from hawaii"  live dvd from the 1973 concert.

"68 comeback special"  dvd from the tv special.

Thanks CH. Good to know about Priscilla too.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 250px-YellowstoneTitleScreen.png]

YELLOWSTONE

Wiki:  Yellowstone (American TV series) - Wikipedia

currently into its third season, im on to the second episode/season 1...

series follows the conflicts between the owners of a cattle ranch and its bordering landowners ( developers and a Native Reservation)
stars the brilliant Kevin Costner as the patriach of the ranch.

first episode was a bit slow as it was introducing characters, the second, so far, is starting to build pretty good at this stage.