Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: RICHARD THOMPSON ~ Ship to Shore
#1
RICHARD THOMPSON ~ Ship to Shore

[Image: 220px-Richard_Thompson_-_Ship_to_Shore.jpg]

Richard Thompson has always been on the periphery of things I listen to - generally – I haven’t paid him much attention at all which is weird considering that he cuts a memorable figure with his trademark beret and that I have always known who he was, and of his auspicious beginnings with Fairport Convention - just not really bothered to get acquainted with his material. However, such is life! He comes across as a little tricksy in my mind – not easy to peg and a very much his own man/muso. Not that that's a bad thing, quite the opposite in fact, but often not endearing to the masses such as me, and therefore not as popular, or as visible, I suppose. I expect he has a devoted niche following.

I found this album quite alternative in places, which surprised me. This is no mild-mannered folk artist whatever Wiki might say! He has a jaggedy edge which makes his music infinitely more interesting. There are a few songs I really don’t like and strangely enough those are what one might refer to as being more mainstream - I'd say I could do without four of the twelve tracks.

He’s an extraordinarily accomplished guitarist and has an efficient set of session players backing him up - superb violin from David Mansfield and backing and harmony vocals by his partner Zara Phillips. I like Thompson’s voice too, which seems to have ripened with the years and has acquired a pleasing darker tone and timbre.

"The Day That I Give In"





Posted this before, but here it is again - "Singapore Sadie" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mMFxFIIs

"What's Left to Lose" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CadRnBF-g

"We Roll" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZ0J5viNPw - the final track. I do like it when an album ends on a definitive note. Reminded so much of David Lindley by the fiddle on this album.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
over the years i have often seen clips of his and thought 'i should check out his albums' yet almost always put him on the backburner.
maybe its about time i actually move into those uncharted waters of his music also
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Roger Taylor - "violence insane in a beautiful world" CRAZY-HORSE 1 194 19-09-2026, 00:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Keb' Mo' - "the breakdown" CRAZY-HORSE 0 208 29-08-2026, 01:52
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Role Model - Chuck Timely & The Hourglass Music Head 0 204 22-08-2026, 11:27
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Jack White - "frozen charlotte" CRAZY-HORSE 1 441 25-07-2026, 11:43
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Rolling Stones - "foreign tongues" CRAZY-HORSE 5 847 23-07-2026, 12:09
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Pretty Reckless - Dear God Music Head 0 237 14-07-2026, 12:20
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Red Clay Strays - Grateful Music Head 2 524 13-07-2026, 08:50
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Green Desert Trees - "fighting dragons" CRAZY-HORSE 0 357 09-07-2026, 04:08
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Angine De Poitrine - "volume 2" CRAZY-HORSE 0 399 20-06-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Shinedown - EI8HT Music Head 1 605 12-06-2026, 11:53
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: