Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NEW ALBUM: LINDA PERRY ~ Let It Die Here
#1
LINDA PERRY ~ Let It Die Here

[Image: a3062714041_2.jpg]

Wow – she’s good at this whole songwriting business. There is not a bad track on the album, IMHO. It keeps you engaged from the outset, and while it’s obviously deeply personal, still feels relatable. I think that when someone pours their heart and soul into their work, the authenticity of the results is blindingly evident. Even if what is being described is not the person who is listening’s direct experience, she somehow manages to evoke a sympathetic response. That’s what happens when it’s real, I guess. This is not a ‘poor sorry me’ collection though – not even close, it’s almost a celebration of having finally sorted things out. A worthy rock offering which somehow contrives not to sound passé.

It’s titled as it is because it’s a literal offloading of stuff she’s carried around with her since childhood – relating primarily to her relationship with her mother – the abuses she was subjected to as a child which seem to have come in many guises.

In an interview on NPR she says -

"Let It Die Here," the album, is about my mom and experiences that I had - trauma, the abuse, all of that stuff. So let it die here means exactly that, you know? I want to let that trauma die here. I want to let this past go. I want to let that anger and the guilt and the shame and the blame go.”

And then “Well, I spent pretty much my whole life trying to figure things out. And one day - I don't know - it was, like, before my mother passed away - I realized my mom was never going to change. But, you know, I hold onto things, you know, when it comes to emotions, your parents. I mean, I want to understand, why did you make a 5-year-old feel so bad? Why would you hit that little child? Why would you abuse them in such a way? Why? Why?
So it wasn't about what she did. It was more about why. It already happened. I get it. I can't take that back. And I would never, actually. You can ask me right now, is there anything I would change about my childhood, and I would say, absolutely not because I'm an awesome mom. I am not my mom. I'm an understanding mom, and I'm a supportive mom, and I make mistakes, and I - I'm accountable.” https://www.npr.org/2026/05/08/nx-s1-572...t-die-here

The music is good – nice strings in the mix and the whole is well executed. Oddly enough, I get a bit of a Neil Diamond vibe from this one “Sunday Best” – LOL – wonder if anyone else gets that? …  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbeFj35V8nY

Her version of her song “Beautiful” which speaks for itself, completely … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ca8b5ZovI

There are two instrumental breaks in the album, something one does not hear a lot lately and which really provides a little air. This is the first … “Mourning” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDTGvnMJIv8

And I’m choosing to link the title track ... 



… and this one, the hooky “Feathers in a Storm”, but really – as I said before, pretty much pick any number … (shades of Fleetwood Mac here - to my ears) ... 


"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Reply
#2
^^
liked the linked tracks and her version of "beautiful" too
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Roger Taylor - "violence insane in a beautiful world" CRAZY-HORSE 1 194 19-09-2026, 00:39
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Keb' Mo' - "the breakdown" CRAZY-HORSE 0 208 29-08-2026, 01:52
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Role Model - Chuck Timely & The Hourglass Music Head 0 204 22-08-2026, 11:27
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Jack White - "frozen charlotte" CRAZY-HORSE 1 441 25-07-2026, 11:43
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Rolling Stones - "foreign tongues" CRAZY-HORSE 5 847 23-07-2026, 12:09
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Pretty Reckless - Dear God Music Head 0 237 14-07-2026, 12:20
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Red Clay Strays - Grateful Music Head 2 524 13-07-2026, 08:50
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Green Desert Trees - "fighting dragons" CRAZY-HORSE 0 357 09-07-2026, 04:08
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Angine De Poitrine - "volume 2" CRAZY-HORSE 0 399 20-06-2026, 01:01
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Shinedown - EI8HT Music Head 1 605 12-06-2026, 11:53
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE

Forum Jump: