Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2011
07-02-2011, 04:36
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 05:03 by Hawkwind.)
Hi everyone. Was just browsing and came across this site. I'd been looking for a place to join discussion about my favourite artists and bands. I was on a couple of sites that had music discussion as part of them, but they were poorly moderated and there was a lot of personal attacks and that sort of thing.
I've had a love of music since a fairly early age, and grew up with The Beatles and other British-invasion bands and artists. I'm from Britain (born there) and have lived in Canada since I was 12.
While not losing my love for traditional rock and roll, I have found over the last couple of decades, my tastes have strongly diversified. I now enjoy some Opera, a lot of New Age artists such as Australis, Paul Schwartz's Aria series, Enigma and others. I have a love for female voalists of many styles, such as Sarah McLachlin. Most recently I discovered, and have become a huge fan of, Julee Cruise, whom I cannot stop playing. In case no one knows her, she performed "Falling" and other songs on the soundtrack from Twin Peaks. She has this highly unusual style....a kind of 50s Avante-Garde sound that is very addicting.
Well, I hope to contribute to some of the ongoing discussions, or even some new ones.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
Welcome to the site - a great place for music lovers. Plenty to read about & listen to.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
welcome to MD Hawkwind,
well we hope you enjoy your time here, and we DO NOT tollerate anti social behaviour here whatsoever,thus, we have good bunch of members, all of whom accept and respect eachother.
im pretty sure that we all like the Beatles here...my favourite band from that era came at the end of the British invasion, Small Faces who IMO are still underrated to this day.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
A warm welcome
I think you have found the right place to have agreat discussion about music here
As Crazy says, the mod team works hard he to keep the site in order and to keep the discussion on track and pleasant .
Hope you enjoy your time here
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Hello Hawk, & welcome to MD.
I have one of Julee's albums: Floating Into The Night. The mastermind behind the sound of the album was Angelo Badalamenti, but I haven't investigated any of his other work except for Booth & The Bad Angel, which saw him paired with Tim Booth from UK band James.
Hope you enjoy the site.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
Unknown
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2011
Tiggi Wrote:Hello Hawk, & welcome to MD.
I have one of Julee's albums: Floating Into The Night. The mastermind behind the sound of the album was Angelo Badalamenti, but I haven't investigated any of his other work except for Booth & The Bad Angel, which saw him paired with Tim Booth from UK band James. "Floating" was the first album I got of Julee's. Her music absolutely mesmerized me, so I managed to find her other two studio albums, and have been playing them all non-stop ever since. What category or genre do you think her music falls under?
Thanks, everyone for the welcome!
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
I'd say it probably fits with Alternative with a generous helping of Jazz.
I haven't heard any of her other albums. Are they as good ??
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
Unknown
Posts: 29,763
Threads: 8,842
Joined: Aug 2009
Welcome to the site Hawk guy.
Never heard of Julee, but if Tiggi has it, it can't be bad.
good taste, that lad
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Feb 2011
Tiggi Wrote:I'd say it probably fits with Alternative with a generous helping of Jazz.
I haven't heard any of her other albums. Are they as good ?? They're a bit different, but "The Art of Being a Girl", her most current, and only album without Badalamenti's writing and arrangements. I find that I like pretty much everything she does. There's been one or two that had to grow on me a bit, but now really like. I also discovered she has a cover of REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It" Very different from the original, and obviously stamped with her own style.
Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
Thanks for that. I might need to do a bit of investigation...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
Unknown
|