Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most influential Individual in Music
Who is the the most influential person in music...EVER? Now it has to be one person, so if you want to vote for a band you're going to have to narrow it down to who out of that band is the most influential.

I'm going to have to say John Lennon. I've only heard a couple of songs from him as it's not really my style of music, but nearly all my favourite bands list him or The Beatles as their reason for getting into the business.
Several to put in

Sister Rosette Tharp
Elvis
Buddy Holly
Bob Dylan
Nick Drake
to name a few
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
J.S. Bach................
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Malcom McLaren
Dr.Dre
Buddy Holly
Keith Richards
Eddie Vedder
Hank Williams Snr
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

John Lennons quote sums it up.
"If they were to rename rock 'n' roll, they would just call it Chuck Berry".

Not sure about most important ever, but Robert Johnson should be in there somewhere.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
guys don't forget about
Depeche Mode Wink
especially influential for modern electronic music
Tiggi Wrote:Not sure about most important ever, but Robert Johnson should be in there somewhere.

Led Zeppelin is one of the most influential. Of course the connection with Robert Johnson is completely under different circumstances concerning a particular era and technology, we have to remember that Johnson made his recordings back in 1936 & 37. Robert Johnson's poetry is reviewed at Virgina Tech among a few facts concerning Johnson's music.

Robert Johnson has influenced such artist and bands like Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, and the list just goes on.

I never really appreciated Eric Clapton as being one of the great Blues-men until I heard him cover Johnson's material. The effort it takes to play the guitar parts while performing the vocals at the same time takes some advanced synchronization with the artist himself to achieve the task.

[video=youtube_share;OZCREueK6OI]http://youtu.be/OZCREueK6OI[/video]

"Love In Vain" is my favorite single by Robert Johnson. Of course most all of us are familiar with his most popular song "Cross Roads".
The Beatles ...refer to my post in Hall of Fame nominations !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
There are a few that I can narrow it down to:

John Lennon/Paul McCartney (I know you said narrow it down to one, but the most influential songs of Lennon's are deemed "Lennon/McCartney", so it'd be wrong to omit Paul) - they're icons from one of the biggest bands ever to walk the planet. They helped in bringing psychadelica to the masses (although at that time those albums were somewhat controversial). I still love 'em, but I think they're a bit overrated. I suppose that overrating an artist by the masses shows how influential he or she is.

Miles Davis - I was going to say Louis Armstrong, who influenced the genre, but I'd say that Davis had a wider spread of fan connections since both jazz afficionados and casual listeners rate "Kind of Blue" as par excellence and since he was one of the frontrunners of jazz fusion.

Elvis Presley - pretty obvious choice in my opinion. He brought black culture music to white America (no mean to be offensive, because that's what actually happened). May not be a fan, but there's no denying his influence.

Johnny "Rotten" Lydon - Had to include him. Some of you may disagree with me, but seeing as The Sex Pistols brought punk to light and continue to be one of the most successful punk bands ever, I'd say that Lydon deserves a mention. Not to mention his role in the post-punk world that he played when he started Public Image Limited.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,338 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,143 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,285 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,483 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  What is a music enthusiast to do ? SteveO 15 3,716 21-02-2023, 14:26
Last Post: JeromeD