Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
I'm in my sixties, and have heard it all from Al Jolson to Lady GaGa and everything in between, and I have never been as completely floored by any talent as I have been by Dutch songstress Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation.
It seems almost indecent that anyone so totally gorgeous (I think she's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, bar none, and at my age I've seen quite a few) should be so incredibly talented. She can do it all, hot or sweet. Her range and ability to sing so many styles and genres is absolutely remarkable...
youtube links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caENELmIXvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wa26KK4jto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03z6MnflCGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLIE6ULtyU
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Hi Artanaxes,
How did you discover Sharon den Adel ? Isn't she fantastic ! As you said, very gorgeous also. There are a few other Dutch songstresses , namely Simone Simons from Epica comes to mind. You'll find that a lot of the European goth symphonic metal groups are fronted by attractive women with great voices ! Sharon tops them all ! I have a DVD by Within Temptation in Concert called Black Symphony and it is fabulous.
I'm nearly 60 but enjoy all kinds of music from any era like yourself.
SteveO
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
SteveO Wrote:Hi Artanaxes,
How did you discover Sharon den Adel ? Isn't she fantastic ! As you said, very gorgeous also. There are a few other Dutch songstresses , namely Simone Simons from Epica comes to mind. You'll find that a lot of the European goth symphonic metal groups are fronted by attractive women with great voices ! Sharon tops them all ! I have a DVD by Within Temptation in Concert called Black Symphony and it is fabulous.
I'm nearly 60 but enjoy all kinds of music from any era like yourself.
SteveO
I just found her while surfing youtube for good music--I'm so tired of the trash that rules the airwaves in the US these days (I detest Katy Perry, Rhiana, Bruno Mars, etc., etc.) It's a shame we have to either listen to the oldies or go overseas to find good music these days.
I've listened to the others--Simone, Floor, etc...but none of them match Sharon. Even Tarja, who I also love, and has a great classical voice and might be a goddess straight out of the Kalevala, can't sing all the styles and genres Sharon can.
Posts: 2,223
Threads: 359
Joined: Oct 2009
We in The Netherlands have excellent musical tradition as you have seen
Others try Ilse de Lange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilse_DeLange
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!
It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown..............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
Artanaxes Wrote:I'm in my sixties, and have heard it all from Al Jolson to Lady GaGa and everything in between, and I have never been as completely floored by any talent as I have been by Dutch songstress Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation.
It seems almost indecent that anyone so totally gorgeous (I think she's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, bar none, and at my age I've seen quite a few) should be so incredibly talented. She can do it all, hot or sweet. Her range and ability to sing so many styles and genres is absolutely remarkable...
youtube links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caENELmIXvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wa26KK4jto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03z6MnflCGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLIE6ULtyU
thanks for that Art,
link 1: could not view in my country
link 2. very good song
link 3. good song
link 4: very good song
yes, lovely face and figure but she can sing also
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Artanaxes,
Have you heard Bruno Mars' album Doo-Wops & Hooligans ? I didn't care for his music only having been over exposed to Just the Way You Are. I had the chance to hear his album this afternoon and it's very good. He also writes music and plays 3 or 4 instruments which to me is a plus !
SteveO
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
gryphon Wrote:We in The Netherlands have excellent musical tradition as you have seen
Others try Ilse de Lange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilse_DeLange
Thanks for the tip--I'll give her a listen.
Do you know Clannad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucw9EVM0HQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vctzFJZ2nzk
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
I'll check it out...but I'm so turned off by "I'd take a grenade for ya" I'll be a hard sell....
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
please understand, by posting these, I'm not trying to proselytize anyone...this is contemporary Christian music...but more than that, IMO it's just plain GOOD MUSIC...the lead singer, Mac Powell, is just wonderful...give it a listen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u0P9kwfF4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij71LWwPt-w
Posts: 25
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2011
Yes...I like her...a unique style...no-one quite like her...thanks...