Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What , if any, is the difference between rap and hip hop/trip hop music ?
A major development occurred in the 1980s in modern music with the evolution of hip hop music !

I often hear the term "rap music" also but the artists that I am familiar with such as Eminem, Kanye West, Neneh Cherry, Cypress Hill, Pitbull, Sage Francis, Snoop Dogg and a few others are listed in Wikipedia as hip hop genre artists !

Is there really a music genre known as rap music or is it being misquoted and in reality a part of the hip hop genre ? Also what is the meaning of trip hop ? I've been seeing this genre a lot lately.

As you can see I am a novice to hip hop but I enjoy it from time to time but I am a little confused in the genres !

P.M. Dawn (thanks, recommended by Tiggi) is a hip hop/ r n' b band somewhat in the style of Kanye West I think. I prefer this hip hop & r n' b combination. Who are some good rap???/hip hop/trip hop artists that don't go overboard commercially ?

Thanks to all !

SteveO
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
hey SteveO,

im not really what you'd call a fan of Rap/Hip Hop but i do listen to Public Enemy, Eminem, D-12, 2-pac and Biggie smalls 'aka' Notorious b.i.g.

50 Cents debut album was good, as is Kanye's latest...there's also a UK rapper called Plan-B who has a fantastic album called "the defamation of strickland banks" which i also enjoy.

as for differences between the terms "rap" and "hip hop"....i have no idea what the differences are,if any???
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between Hip-Hop & Rap. Someone with more knowledge might be able to explain the difference (if there is one) ?!

Trip-Hop (or Downtempo) is a variant which is more laid back, and has more of an Electronica feel.

Examples of Trip-Hop artists:

Massive Attack
Tricky
DJ Shadow
Nightmares on Wax
Portishead
Sneaker Pimps
Morcheeba
Archive
Early Goldfrapp
Lamb
Kruder Dorfmeister
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Rap's the actual term for the music genre whereas hip hop is a term for the whole cultural phenomenon of rapping, bboying, graffiti art etc. Of course these terms are often used interchangeably by some - or actually quite many - morons. I even find myself making this common mistake sometimes.

And yes, Trip Hop is a more laid back type of the original rap music that originated in the UK and that draws its influences from reggae and dub rather than rhythm and blues and funk and whatnot.
Forgot the artists. Since I assume you're familiar with the classics and big shots in the biz I'll stick to some 'lesser known' artists.

Madvillain
Aesop Rock
Why?
Cyne
Nujabes
Gonjasufi
Saul Williams
Modill
Dälek
Move.meant
Eyedea & Abilities
Castheadwork
trip hop has nothing to do with rap. It's a type of electronic/house music from England. As far as I know, rap describes the music and hip hop describes the culture
hip hop is listed in wiki as a GENRE...I didn't notice RAP as a genre but it could be in there somewhere ???? ??? This is why I'm confused,,,perhaps you can define it this way.... A rapper plays or sings in a hip hop group ?????

Any road thanks to all so far that have contributed invaluable recommendations !!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,338 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,143 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,285 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,483 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  What is a music enthusiast to do ? SteveO 15 3,716 21-02-2023, 14:26
Last Post: JeromeD