Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2011
Any guitar players out there put their battery in their preamp backwards? I did with my Fishman Prefix Plus preamp, and now I have some problems. Apparently I fried some components, and the factory does not do repairs on a discontinued preamp. Is it possible to rebuild this preamp, and has anyone had this experience? Thanks in advance. Anson
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
26-08-2011, 20:39
(This post was last modified: 27-08-2011, 06:00 by Jerome.)
Yes you probably have fried some components. Some of these devices have polarity conscious components so that you cannot damage them. Some don't. Unfortunately without a circuit diagram of the internal workings of the device it's almost impossible to say exactly which component(s) is/are shot. And it is very difficult to repair microelectronics because of the size of the devices. Coupled with this is the fact that most of these devices are hermetically sealed internally which make them all but impossible to fix. My advice - buy a new one. Sorry but I think that's your best bet. Having said that sometimes a bad component can work wonders (I know this is not true in your case) - Mr Gilmour's guitar intro to 'Sorrow' was supposedly done on an old axe with a dodgy transistor. Read this somewhere on the net many moons ago so not sure if it is correct.
Posts: 285
Threads: 31
Joined: Aug 2011
I agree with Jerome. Short of a buddy with an EE degree from MIT, it would be tough to get someone to open the box up and play around with it's innards. Best bet is probably a trip to the guitar shop, or some online shopping. Sweetwater.com has high ratings.
BTW, is it for an acoustic or electric guitar? Is it just for eq?
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2011
Thanks for the input Jerome and Gater. I do have a friend with a double E degree from Columbia, and he says about the same thing that you both said. I will check out the websites. Thanks again, Anson