Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folk musician Bert Jansch dies aged 67 ( BBC website)
[h=1]Folk musician Bert Jansch dies aged 67[/h] Comments (13)
[Image: _55839623_jansch1_bodygetty.jpg] Jansch's last solo album, The Black Swan, was released in 2007
Scottish folk musician Bert Jansch, a founding member of the band Pentangle and a well-known guitarist in his own right, has died at the age of 67.
Jansch, who had cancer, passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning at a hospice in Hampstead, north London.
Born in Glasgow in 1943, the musician recorded his first album in 1965 and his last, The Black Swan, in 2006.
Between 1967 and 1973 he was part of acoustic group Pentangle, best known for their 1970 hit single Light Flight.
John Renbourn, Jacqui McShee, Danny Thompson and Terry Cox were the other original members of the band, whose albums included Basket of Light and Solomon's Seal.
The group reformed in 2008 after receiving a lifetime achievement honour the previous year at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards.

As a solo artist, Jansch received his own lifetime achievement accolade at the same event in 2001.
He last performed, with Pentangle, at the Royal Festival Hall on 1 August.
A scheduled solo show at the Edinburgh Festival later that month was cancelled due to the singer's ill health.
Speaking to The Guardian last year, Jansch - who is survived by his wife Loren - said he was "not one for showing off".
But he admitted that his guitar-playing "sticks out" - a skill that once prompted Neil Young to put him on the same level as Jimi Hendrix.
Booking agent John Barrow, who helped the musician stage shows throughout his career, said he would remember Jansch as a "hard-working musician" and "a great man".
"He was very quietly spoken," he told the BBC. "People used to say to me, 'he doesn't talk much, does he?' But when he could play the guitar like that, why should he be talking?"
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
That's sad...

Didn't know he was ill.

The Black Swan album mentioned is very good.

RIP Bert.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
I am disheartened to hear the passing of a great artist !...rest peacefully Bert.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I'm going to miss that guy...............................he was an huge talent but he was so quiet and modest that I don't believe he every got the recognition he deserved.............Time to get out he Pentangle albums!!
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Pentangle's "Basket of Light" was a favourite album of mine when I was about 11 or 12. I wore out my sister's copy. Jansch is definitely one of the guitar heroes....and I think he had a wonderful singing voice to boot.
dont really know enough about this guy, but death is always sad and my prayers are with his family right now.

all i know about him is that Neil Young is/was a great admirer of his talent.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much for a Music Website ? Laeti Laeti 4 1,219 31-08-2021, 11:49
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  What rock groups have distinct English folk music backgrounds or influences ? SteveO 7 1,747 09-07-2021, 09:49
Last Post: JeromeD
  Musical Instrument Website tannerhp 3 1,402 29-12-2019, 20:32
  Musician Deaths - 2018 Ruby 49 16,401 07-12-2018, 00:49
  Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time coykiesaol 25 7,302 21-06-2018, 19:36
Last Post: Lovely
  Musician Deaths - 2017 Music Head 95 20,315 08-01-2018, 09:45
Last Post: Ruby
  A music website which needs your appreciations! Q Asar Music 0 789 04-12-2016, 14:29
Last Post: Q Asar Music
  New Radio Website HiddenGuitarist 0 682 18-11-2016, 14:50
Last Post: HiddenGuitarist
  A must for Musician kefmawin 0 822 21-09-2016, 22:55
Last Post: kefmawin
  Releasing music without permission of session musician bennik91 6 2,456 15-06-2016, 04:04
Last Post: bob_32_116