Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you prefer female or male vocalists or does it matter ?
Oh, and Bjork's another quirky one I like, and Kate Bush too

SteveO Wrote:Joanna is another one I like, Laura Marling, Virginia Astley, Marianne Faithful. Christine Perfect....I quess by quirky you mean the "quirky" singing of Bjork, Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins), Beth Gibbons (Portishead), Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance) or Laurie Anderson types which I love???
Another great female vocalist ! There are so many good ones...too many to mention
Jerome Wrote:Where's Pat Benatar?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I never really thought about it before, but most of the singers that I prefer are female. Even across genres, I still tend to prefer female voices.
Mine's guys all the way. Except for trance. I love trance tunes with bored-sounding female singers, e.g. "Beautiful Thing" Andain, "Is It Cold?" Tydi, "Catch Your Fall" Clokx ... that sort of thing. Favourite female singer though would have to be Diamanda Galas. I have a lot of tracks by the others mentioned, but they don't register that much with me. I know why too ....
I have a clear preference for female vocalists. I tend to prefer female fronted bands or all female bands as well.

There's a singing style I label "male rock star vocals" that really turns me off and ruins most songs for me no matter how good the backing music is.

There are definitely female vocalists I don't enjoy. If they get what I call "operatic" or have too much vibrato that's a turn off for me as well.
Most of my favorites are male, but my favorite females in my opinion are the best in female music history.

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
(12-10-2018, 05:17)Right on the mark regarding that same old male vocal style ! It bores me to be quite truthful ! sjpolyguy Wrote: I have a clear preference for female vocalists.  I tend to prefer female fronted bands or all female bands as well.

There's a singing style I label "male rock star vocals" that really turns me off and ruins most songs for me no matter how good the backing music is.

There are definitely female vocalists I don't enjoy.  If they get what I call "operatic" or have too much vibrato that's a turn off for me as well.
What I cannot stand is when some female (and male) vocalists insist on using 120 syllables up and down the scale endlessly when the word only has two or three. Drives me nuts.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
(15-10-2018, 07:42)I find that in a lot of cases today a good melody is nonexistent ! Jerome Wrote: What I cannot stand is when some female (and male) vocalists insist on using 120 syllables up and down the scale endlessly when the word only has two or three. Drives me nuts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Cover Versions you prefer as much/more than the Original carbon_psycho 139 19,967 31-08-2021, 06:28
Last Post: JeromeD
  Who are some of your favorite female artists ? SteveO 12 3,010 15-10-2018, 03:52
Last Post: SteveO
  Brea~Simone - Ode 2 B (New Female Hip-Hop n Rnb Artist her lyrics are really dope) JahAlien 0 784 11-07-2016, 15:19
Last Post: JahAlien
  My favorite female singers.. Arcticbird_Star 23 5,545 16-07-2014, 19:54
Last Post: mcdefault
  I'm looking for some rock bands with female lead singers. Tropic_Looter 3 1,585 01-01-2014, 21:48
  Read all about it male cover version Dimos Zagaris 0 499 30-11-2013, 16:03
Last Post: Dimos Zagaris
  Favorite female singers...old and new MalGalMusic79 13 3,442 18-09-2013, 16:07
  What are your thoughts on bands that consist of one female amongst males? andy_88 8 1,867 15-05-2013, 08:38
Last Post: ipodder
  Name your greatest female all - star band ! SteveO 3 1,025 17-10-2011, 14:27
Last Post: Music Head
  Are there any prominent female fronted/female vocal bands these days ? SteveO 8 1,620 22-08-2011, 16:38
Last Post: LxiDD