Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"west coast blues and roots" festival...overview
ok, so yesterday was the day...
Dani and I only got to see about a third of the artists on offer...mainly because of overlaps in play times on the two
stages,other reasons were going to the smokers pit to have a smoke, bite to eat and the odd coffee break..
primarily though, our main target of the day was the legendary John Fogerty..

steve earle
Steve Earle of Copperhead Road fame delighted us with an hour long acoustic set of songs from his extensive
back catalogue including the forementioned hit...
some great tunes which at times had a distinct Dylan feel to them
gig rating 4/5

keb' mo
to be honest, never heard of this US blues guy, well they call him blues, seemed to have more in common with
Buffett and Doobie Brothers, very laid back set but not really blues as in the traditional blues guitar sound as his
keyboards guy did most of the solos
gig rating 3.5/5

buddy guy
75 year old blues maestro,rated by Clapton as the greatest blues guitarist of all time..
not far off the mark with that description, his set was real blues IMO,plenty of great blues guitar,
endless energy and his vocals were sharp,powerful years younger than his physical age,
i have his latest album "living proof" thanks to a Corey recommendation and i am looking foreward to hearing
it in its entirity at some point, had to see him live first though as the blues loses its rich earthy feel in a studio
recording IMO
gig rating 4.5/5

crosby,stills and nash
one of those legendary groups i wanted to see before they start to die, surprised by the real rocky feel to their
material live.Crosby didnt sing or supply harmonies due to a throat infection so Stills and Nash stepped up to the
plate..as all great proffessionals do!
pleasantly surprised Stills did "for what its worth"(one of the greatest songs ever written IMO!)
Nash also did "teach your children" from CSNY "deja vu" set of which Steve Earle joined them on stage to add
harmonies to. star of the gig went to the sublime guitar work of Stephen Stills IMO, Dani preferred the vocals of
Graeme Nash, but we both enjoyed it immensely
gig rating 4/5

the specials
why were these guys here?, a ska band? not really bluesy or roots IMO, but nevertheless got the crowd
dancing and singing with their infectious beats from the late seventies and early eighties
was good to relive my childhood days of them The Beat and Madness
gig rating 3/5

john fogerty
the reason we really got tickets, both been a big CCR and Fogerty solo fans for decades now, have all his albums.
two hours on stage including the entire "cosmo's factory" CCR album with the entire 11 minute version of
"i heard it through the grapevine"...the greatest cover version of all time IMO..
also performed several solo hits including "centrefield" and "the old man down the road", both of which
fitted in amongst his classic CCR tracks really well.
the guy can still rock as good as anyone in the business, vocally strong etc etc... just great to
finally hear all those great tracks live by one of rocks most consistantly good songwriters
gig rating 4.5/5

all up a fantastic day/evening on the green in Fremantle, my only dissapointment was that
My Morning Jacket were on the other stage the same time as Fogerty, but they are still young
and i'll have other chances to see them live at some point in their careers, but for last night
John Fogerty was "the man f the hour!"
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

very nice reviews
glad you guys had a good time
I remember hearing that Buddy Guy album when it came out
It made my list and then got bumped

Very happy to see you both had a great time and that you got to see John Fogerty and Buddy Guy ! Did you see Canada';s Sheepdogs at all ? They're on tour with Fogerty ?
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:
ok, so yesterday was the day...
Dani and I only got to see about a third of the artists on offer...mainly because of overlaps in play times on the two
stages,other reasons were going to the smokers pit to have a smoke, bite to eat and the odd coffee break..
primarily though, our main target of the day was the legendary John Fogerty..

steve earle
Steve Earle of Copperhead Road fame delighted us with an hour long acoustic set of songs from his extensive
back catalogue including the forementioned hit...
some great tunes which at times had a distinct Dylan feel to them
gig rating 4/5

keb' mo
to be honest, never heard of this US blues guy, well they call him blues, seemed to have more in common with
Buffett and Doobie Brothers, very laid back set but not really blues as in the traditional blues guitar sound as his
keyboards guy did most of the solos
gig rating 3.5/5

buddy guy
75 year old blues maestro,rated by Clapton as the greatest blues guitarist of all time..
not far off the mark with that description, his set was real blues IMO,plenty of great blues guitar,
endless energy and his vocals were sharp,powerful years younger than his physical age,
i have his latest album "living proof" thanks to a Corey recommendation and i am looking foreward to hearing
it in its entirity at some point, had to see him live first though as the blues loses its rich earthy feel in a studio
recording IMO
gig rating 4.5/5

crosby,stills and nash
one of those legendary groups i wanted to see before they start to die, surprised by the real rocky feel to their
material live.Crosby didnt sing or supply harmonies due to a throat infection so Stills and Nash stepped up to the
plate..as all great proffessionals do!
pleasantly surprised Stills did "for what its worth"(one of the greatest songs ever written IMO!)
Nash also did "teach your children" from CSNY "deja vu" set of which Steve Earle joined them on stage to add
harmonies to. star of the gig went to the sublime guitar work of Stephen Stills IMO, Dani preferred the vocals of
Graeme Nash, but we both enjoyed it immensely
gig rating 4/5

the specials
why were these guys here?, a ska band? not really bluesy or roots IMO, but nevertheless got the crowd
dancing and singing with their infectious beats from the late seventies and early eighties
was good to relive my childhood days of them The Beat and Madness
gig rating 3/5

john fogerty
the reason we really got tickets, both been a big CCR and Fogerty solo fans for decades now, have all his albums.
two hours on stage including the entire "cosmo's factory" CCR album with the entire 11 minute version of
"i heard it through the grapevine"...the greatest cover version of all time IMO..
also performed several solo hits including "centrefield" and "the old man down the road", both of which
fitted in amongst his classic CCR tracks really well.
the guy can still rock as good as anyone in the business, vocally strong etc etc... just great to
finally hear all those great tracks live by one of rocks most consistantly good songwriters
gig rating 4.5/5

all up a fantastic day/evening on the green in Fremantle, my only dissapointment was that
My Morning Jacket were on the other stage the same time as Fogerty, but they are still young
and i'll have other chances to see them live at some point in their careers, but for last night
John Fogerty was "the man f the hour!"
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Sheepdogs were there, played a half hour gig in the morning before we got there
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

too bad, you'd like them !
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:Sheepdogs were there, played a half hour gig in the morning before we got there
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Kanye West issues? sing-a-long 2 1,058 18-02-2024, 17:32
Last Post: JeromeD
  Festival Mapper Inna Selez 0 529 17-11-2016, 18:39
Last Post: Inna Selez
  Kanye West says his new album is better than Michael Jackson’s Thriller DavidKratos92 6 5,966 29-07-2016, 11:50
Last Post: flinty
  Subversive Blues aviationrec 0 585 30-03-2016, 07:04
Last Post: aviationrec
  Does anyone Miss Blues and Old\School Blues Rock? MattyDice 0 831 26-01-2016, 00:45
Last Post: MattyDice
  Festival Season geeeaidan 0 927 30-06-2015, 13:47
Last Post: geeeaidan
  Dave Grohl Falling off stage at festival in Gothenburg, Sweden gorbacep 1 1,031 16-06-2015, 04:19
Last Post: TheNeedleDrops
  MEAGHAN TRAINOR/JIMMY FALLON/THE ROOTS "all about that bass" CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,637 24-03-2015, 09:48
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  The best song i ever heard! I love it! Rihanna And Kanye West And Paul McCartney Krazyness 2 1,153 08-02-2015, 01:29
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  top 100 blues guitarists frank 99 15,497 29-01-2015, 17:52
Last Post: jazzboCR