Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Improvisation in jazz
#1
Hey all,

Since its beginnings in 2003 Jazz Kamp Kranj has established as one of the most popular jazz festivals in Slovenia. It offers rich campus program for all young musicians that want to learn about jazz music. This year, we wanted to consolidate positioning of Jazz kamp Kranj as campus that really understands and teaches the true essence of jazz. Our idea was: Improvise, if you would like to play jazz. With zero budget, we performed and recorded this first “jazz mob”, which we would like to share with you today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIipXp2g4MY

Your comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
J.
Reply
#2
ha ha thats really good

jazz Wrote:Hey all,

Since its beginnings in 2003 Jazz Kamp Kranj has established as one of the most popular jazz festivals in Slovenia. It offers rich campus program for all young musicians that want to learn about jazz music. This year, we wanted to consolidate positioning of Jazz kamp Kranj as campus that really understands and teaches the true essence of jazz. Our idea was: Improvise, if you would like to play jazz. With zero budget, we performed and recorded this first “jazz mob”, which we would like to share with you today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIipXp2g4MY

Your comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
J.
America is pregnant with promise and anticipation but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable....(Lee Jackson ..The Nice)
Reply
#3
Dear @jazz welcome to MD.
Reply
#4
Thanks Mrrusty1!

Thanks Simran for welcoming jazz on MD Wink
Reply
#5
cool !! Thanks
Reply
#6
There are some kinds of jazz, I don't know how to identify? thanks for your help.

[TABLE="width: 543"]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 543"]Croisière privèe mekong[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Reply
#7
Hey J,

This was a really neat video! I am studying to become a music teacher and one of the scariest things I see in the future is teaching Jazz improvisation. I really like the idea of a festival to promote the jazz arts, I think that in today's age (obviously this is not true for all programs) I think jazz is getting more and more left out. I am still fairly new to this, as my high school did not do much with legit jazz charts, but I am always fascinated with ideas for promoting jazz Confusedmile:

funkyjazz09
Reply
#8
Welcome aboard MD, Jazz and Funkyjazz! Thanks for sharing your video, jazz! I really enjoyed it!...are you in it...The band did Stevie Wonder proud!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#9
I appreciate that the socioeconomic situation that created jazz lead to the appeal of this sense of individual empowerment and group cooperation the improvisation provides. As well as it being good fun, impressive in the right situation and a good social opportunity.

However, it still seems strange to me that improvisation is still done on this scale. I mean, if your goal is to create beautiful music, then improvisation only impedes that and should only be done recreationally.

There's no reason in the contemporary world for improvisation to be linked with jazz on a professional level. No matter how well someone can improvise, taking the time to write down the composition and apply appropriate improvements will always be the safest way to create great music.
Reply
#10
Semitone Wrote:I appreciate that the socioeconomic situation that created jazz lead to the appeal of this sense of individual empowerment and group cooperation the improvisation provides. As well as it being good fun, impressive in the right situation and a good social opportunity.

However, it still seems strange to me that improvisation is still done on this scale. I mean, if your goal is to create beautiful music, then improvisation only impedes that and should only be done recreationally.

There's no reason in the contemporary world for improvisation to be linked with jazz on a professional level. No matter how well someone can improvise, taking the time to write down the composition and apply appropriate improvements will always be the safest way to create great music.

This post is so much bilge water, I scarce know where to begin. Listen to any of the Gerald Wilson or Gil Evans Orchestra or Sauter Finnigan Orchestra perfs and then let's talk about the alleged differences between skilled players, reading off charts, and any smaller group hearing 8 bars of a theme then just winging it. Same level of improvisation in both situations and I won't listen to arguments otherwise. There is no dichotomy of which you speak--a closer listening of the totality will show you this. And by "beauty", do you just mean "sweet"? Sometimes fragile beauty has a place; other times the more jagged kind prevails.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,914 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
Video Jazz/Rock Fusion? Dissily Mordentroge 0 853 16-10-2019, 10:39
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  unusual instruments in jazz jazzboCR 29 15,558 05-05-2017, 10:26
Last Post: Jerome
  I want to add new gems to my Soul & Jazz playlist (Spotify). Got any recommendations? Vaporsoul_feelings 1 1,369 15-01-2017, 01:25
Last Post: MFS
  The Smooth Jazz Chillout 7 - City Jazz daytime 0 1,473 19-06-2016, 01:53
Last Post: daytime
  Juxtaposition of Latin Jazz with Afro Soul- Samba Makossa single by Bachot Muna sylvestermusic 0 1,366 16-06-2016, 12:23
Last Post: sylvestermusic
  woman famous saxophone jazz thaonakun 0 1,578 19-04-2016, 03:21
Last Post: thaonakun
  Chantal Chamberland - Autobiography (Boozy Jazz) bebewewe 3 3,406 03-02-2016, 11:34
Last Post: bebewewe
  Jazz with piano focus Freakin 4 3,532 17-07-2015, 04:09
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Lady GaGa is a jazz singer jazzboCR 8 5,591 12-07-2015, 15:08
Last Post: Jane42

Forum Jump: