Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Who Are Your Favorite (Brilliant) "Jazz Crazies"?
#1
What I mean is, who is your favorite jazz artist that was a bit off his/her rocker?

For me, it's gotta be Thelonious Monk and Mingus. Both BRILLIANT, both a little off...

Thoughts?
Reply
#2
Both of those two are fantastic. If we're just looking at bebop, I would also add Coltrane and Coleman. Both were a bit loony, but they were still geniuses. In the whole field of jazz, I'd have to say that my favourite crazy jazz musician would be Sun Ra. I mean, really? You came from Saturn? Your music's out of this world but I find that hard to believe.
Reply
#3
Frownland Wrote:Both of those two are fantastic. If we're just looking at bebop, I would also add Coltrane and Coleman. Both were a bit loony, but they were still geniuses. In the whole field of jazz, I'd have to say that my favourite crazy jazz musician would be Sun Ra. I mean, really? You came from Saturn? Your music's out of this world but I find that hard to believe.

I wasn't aware that Coltrane was considered loony, too. LOL forgot about Sun Ra. It's been a while, but I'm gonna go re-acquaint myself right now!
Reply
#4
Nick Dilley Wrote:I wasn't aware that Coltrane was considered loony, too.

Well, I don't know if he was technically loony, but he did become a bit antisocial when he got into free jazz and people assumed that he was going off of the deep end.
Reply
#5
I didn't realise Mingus, one of the greatest 20th century composers IMHO, was considered off his rocker. I guess you can state that for a lot of jazz players and musicians and people in general !...lol Interesting thread though. I saw a video on avant garde/free jazz once and they interviewed the fabulous improvisational pianist Cecil Taylor and he appeared to me as a tad peculiar.

Nick Dilley Wrote:What I mean is, who is your favorite jazz artist that was a bit off his/her rocker?

For me, it's gotta be Thelonious Monk and Mingus. Both BRILLIANT, both a little off...

Thoughts?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#6
anyone who says what they think to anyone is considered a little odd

Reply
#7
Music Head Wrote:anyone who says what they think to anyone is considered a little odd

And, of course, the honesty of composition is saying what one thinks to everyone!

That's just the composer in me talking, though. Smile
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,903 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
Video Jazz/Rock Fusion? Dissily Mordentroge 0 850 16-10-2019, 10:39
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  unusual instruments in jazz jazzboCR 29 15,548 05-05-2017, 10:26
Last Post: Jerome
  I want to add new gems to my Soul & Jazz playlist (Spotify). Got any recommendations? Vaporsoul_feelings 1 1,366 15-01-2017, 01:25
Last Post: MFS
  The Smooth Jazz Chillout 7 - City Jazz daytime 0 1,470 19-06-2016, 01:53
Last Post: daytime
  Juxtaposition of Latin Jazz with Afro Soul- Samba Makossa single by Bachot Muna sylvestermusic 0 1,364 16-06-2016, 12:23
Last Post: sylvestermusic
  woman famous saxophone jazz thaonakun 0 1,575 19-04-2016, 03:21
Last Post: thaonakun
  Chantal Chamberland - Autobiography (Boozy Jazz) bebewewe 3 3,403 03-02-2016, 11:34
Last Post: bebewewe
  My favorite song patrickowen21 0 1,275 15-11-2015, 06:58
Last Post: patrickowen21
  Jazz with piano focus Freakin 4 3,529 17-07-2015, 04:09
Last Post: jazzboCR

Forum Jump: