Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees for 2014
The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s of 2014 are out and includes Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple and Peter Gabriel. The rest of the 16 nominees are Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Link Wray, The Meters, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, Yes, The Zombies, Hall and Oates and The Replacements.

The ceremony is held to April next year in New York. Note for the fact that the public gets to vote alongside the artists and historians for the second consecutive year. Remember that all the 16 nominees must have edited the first album till 1988 – ‘Bleach’ , the first album of Nirvana, went to stores in 1989 but it’s eligible because ‘Love Buzz’ was their first single, back in 1988.

The complete List of the Nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s of 2014:
or you can vote for real at - http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/
here are those nominees again
rules say you can only vote for 5
pick 5 people

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Chic
Deep Purple
Peter Gabriel
Hall and Oates
KISS
LL Cool J
The Meters
Nirvana
N.W.A.
The Replacements
Linda Ronstadt
Cat Stevens
Link Wray
Yes
The Zombies

gotta get my vote in before you guys influence me

trying to be objective here
I think the vote should reflect those that have had an influence in music
for me those 5 would be:

Chic
Kiss
Yes
Nirvana
Deep Purple

how about we take a brief look back at these nominees
CH and I have a stake in this (we've been there)

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

[Image: BtrfldBluesBand-WEB.jpg]

Bio

“I was born in Chicago – nineteen and forty-one…” The racially mixed Paul Butterfield Blues Band blasted-off from the Windy City with a wall-
of-sound fueled by Butterfield’s inspired harmonica and lead guitarist Mike Bloom­field’s explosive lead guitar – at that moment, American rock
and roll collided with the real South­side Chicago blues and there was no turning back. Along with original members Elvin Bishop on second
guitar and Mark Naftalin on organ, they conquered the landmark 1965 Newport Folk Festival. It was there Bob Dylan borrowed Bloomfield and the
Butterfield Band’s African-American rhythm section of Sam Lay on drums and bassist Jerome Arnold (both former Howlin’ Wolf band members) for his
world-shaking electric debut that Sunday evening. The Butterfield Band converted the country-blues purists and turned on the Fillmore generation
to the pleasures of Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon and Elmore James. With the release of their blues-drenched debut
album in the fall of 1965, and its adventurous East-West follow-up in the summer of ’66, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band kicked open a door that
brought a defining new edge to rock and roll.

a sample:

[video=youtube;PyLh7-MDJZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLh7-MDJZU[/video]

I like a lot of those. I hope Nirvana and Cat Stevens get in. Side note: I really love Love Buzz.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
Oh and Peter Gabriel.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
i just want to know why Horse-Head wasnt nominated again....i guess the powers that be misplaced the paperwork once again???
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

i voted for:

Zombies
Cat Stevens
Linda Ronstadt
NWA
KISS
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Chic

[Image: chic.png]

Bio

Chic’s founding partnership consisted of songwriter-producer-guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards (1952-1996), abetted by future
Power Station drummer Tony Thompson (1954-2003). They rescued disco in 1977 with a combination of groove, soul and distinctly New York City
studio smarts. Rodgers’ chopping rhythm guitar alongside Edwards’ deft bass lines were the perfect counterpart to melodic arrangements with
their two female vocalists Alfa Anderson and Norma Jean Wright (replaced by Luci Martin). Out-of-the-box chart smashes “Dance, Dance, Dance
(Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah),” the Number One “Le Freak” and Number One “Good Times” (ranked on Rolling Stone’s "500 Greatest Singles Of All Time")
made Chic the preeminent disco band – emphasis on the word ‘band’ – of the late ’70s. Their music also extended disco’s tenure at a critical
moment, as hip-hop (and later in the ’80s, New Jack Swing) began to take the stage. Over the years, artists such as Sugar Hill Gang and Diddy
have turned to Chic for beats and samples: “Good Times” has been checked everywhere from “Rapper’s Delight” and Blondie’s “Rapture,” to Queen’s
“Another One Bites The Dust.” Rodgers and Edwards followed their five years in Chic with careers as top-flight producers for an A-list of
megastars. Under Rodgers’ leadership, Chic has continued to tour, releasing live performances of its shows in Japan and Amsterdam.

sample:

[video=youtube;rTusMLs9SJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTusMLs9SJE[/video]

the only thing i know by Chic is the single "le freak" which has already come out in my "singles thread"...i like it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greatest Frontmen In Rock Music Head 19 5,304 25-10-2022, 08:04
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Yacht Rock - another genre LOL CRAZY-HORSE 1 302 14-05-2022, 05:29
Last Post: JeromeD
  which rock song..... CRAZY-HORSE 2 395 07-03-2022, 12:02
  2022 R+R Hall of Fame nominees CRAZY-HORSE 2 638 03-02-2022, 14:09
  What rock groups have distinct English folk music backgrounds or influences ? SteveO 7 1,747 09-07-2021, 09:49
Last Post: JeromeD
  2021 R+R Hall Of Fame inductees announced CRAZY-HORSE 0 387 18-05-2021, 06:56
  2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees are.... CRAZY-HORSE 4 1,197 10-10-2020, 11:47
Last Post: Music Head
  2020 Rock And Roll HoF nominations CRAZY-HORSE 2 940 16-10-2019, 19:23
  Southern Rock/Redneck Rock CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,767 23-08-2017, 18:07
Last Post: Ruby
  Md hall of fame inductees SteveO 0 548 29-08-2016, 04:36
Last Post: SteveO