Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
streaming /digital sales &physical sales charts:
this one is for anyone who doesn't bother to read the "weekly charts" thread...

ok,

there are basically three song/singles charts in the UK:

1....allows "streaming", and also tally's from both digital and physical sales, this is the "official chart"

2....allows only actual sales albeit from digital sales and also physical sales (ie: cds and vinyl) this is called the "sales chart"

3....allows only physical sales of actual "singles" because they have to be in the cd or 7"/12" vinyl formats, this is called the "physical chart"

below are the vastly different figures of the three #1 songs/singles from each of the chart formats:

if you have a look at it,
the Drake song is not in the actual "physical sales"
chart but is at #6 on the sales chart that counts digital sales and #1 on the one that allows streaming,
therefore he is at #1 on the big chart through mainly "streaming",

Justin Timberlake is also not in the actual "physical sales" chart but is #1 on the sales chart that counts digital sales and #2 behind Drake on the chart
that allows streaming,
therefore its fair to say that his positions are probably 50/50 digital sales/streaming

Manic Street Preachers are #1 on the physical sales chart but only #72 on the chart that allows digital/physical sales, they do not feature at all on the
official top100 chart that allows digital sales/ physical sales & streaming!
thereore its air to say that probably ALL their sales are actual sales and of those probably 95% would probably be actual real "sales"!

so, rom this I can deduce that streaming make up a hell of a lot of figures to the physical chart and if this is the case in the UK it would probably
be fair to assume this is also the case in the US/CAN/AU and anywhere else there is a chart for songs/singles.

now, artists like Taylor Swift/ Adele/Bob Dylan/Beatles etc didn't allow their music to be streamed because the apparently earned nothing for it,

so can we assume that even though Drake is #1 on the official song/singles chart in the UK this week that because a huge chunk of his tally is made up
of streaming that he is probably earning way less money than an artist who's songs are only available via digital stores like iTunes and actual music shops???
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I've given my opinion on these charts before. For me the only chart(s) that is/are meaningful are those based on sales. Those sales can be digital or physical, but they have to be actual sales, where someone is paying so they can listen to the product. That's the only real measure of how much love the product has.

I would also venture to guess that they are the only charts of great interest to the artists themselves. i think it's a great shame that the chart allowing streaming is promoted so heavily, because it makes it looks as though "legacy" artists like the Manic Street Preachers (Gee it makes me feel old to call them that) are less popular than they are.

If I were a budding musician trying to get my releases noticed I would probably allow streaming, but only because i think of it as a publicity and promotional tool. It's filling much the same function as radio did twenty or more years ago.
I thought The Beatles allow streaming now?
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:this one is for anyone who doesn't bother to read the "weekly charts" thread...

ok,

there are basically three song/singles charts in the UK:

1....allows "streaming", and also tally's from both digital and physical sales, this is the "official chart"

2....allows only actual sales albeit from digital sales and also physical sales (ie: cds and vinyl) this is called the "sales chart"

3....allows only physical sales of actual "singles" because they have to be in the cd or 7"/12" vinyl formats, this is called the "physical chart"

below are the vastly different figures of the three #1 songs/singles from each of the chart formats:

if you have a look at it,
the Drake song is not in the actual "physical sales"
chart but is at #6 on the sales chart that counts digital sales and #1 on the one that allows streaming,
therefore he is at #1 on the big chart through mainly "streaming",

Justin Timberlake is also not in the actual "physical sales" chart but is #1 on the sales chart that counts digital sales and #2 behind Drake on the chart
that allows streaming,
therefore its fair to say that his positions are probably 50/50 digital sales/streaming

Manic Street Preachers are #1 on the physical sales chart but only #72 on the chart that allows digital/physical sales, they do not feature at all on the
official top100 chart that allows digital sales/ physical sales & streaming!
thereore its air to say that probably ALL their sales are actual sales and of those probably 95% would probably be actual real "sales"!

so, rom this I can deduce that streaming make up a hell of a lot of figures to the physical chart and if this is the case in the UK it would probably
be fair to assume this is also the case in the US/CAN/AU and anywhere else there is a chart for songs/singles.

now, artists like Taylor Swift/ Adele/Bob Dylan/Beatles etc didn't allow their music to be streamed because the apparently earned nothing for it,

so can we assume that even though Drake is #1 on the official song/singles chart in the UK this week that because a huge chunk of his tally is made up
of streaming that he is probably earning way less money than an artist who's songs are only available via digital stores like iTunes and actual music shops???
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Yes they do, you are correct SteveO..
As do Adele, Bob and Taylor, which is what I thought I posted????
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 23 1,363 23-04-2024, 22:19
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 9,016 27-12-2023, 13:10
  Australian album charts 2023: CRAZY-HORSE 37 6,548 23-09-2023, 05:17
  UK album charts 2023: CRAZY-HORSE 34 5,196 16-09-2023, 07:23
  2022 EOY albums charts CRAZY-HORSE 1 940 13-01-2023, 12:36