Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotify equivalent for physical sales.
so,
we were at a neighbor's BBQ yesterday afternoon and they had several friends over whom i did not know nor had ever met.
anyway about two hours in "pumped up kicks" by The National Foster The People came on the neighbours' Spotify playlist and this one guy started saying "isnt it amazing how such a dark subject can have such a catchy upbeat tune?", 
i casually mentioned several other songs of the same ilk and he said "oh, you know your music"...

anyways, we struck up a conversation about music and he told me that when he lived in Sydney,Australia he worked in P.R for a record label out there until he moved here a couple of years ago... 

to cut a story short that could almost certainly be longer...

he mentioned that approximately 1,000,000 Streams of an album equates to the equivalent of around 650 physical sales and the money the artist receives from this depends on how much 'pull' the artist has in the industry (ie: Taylor Swift of Paul McCartney could demand and earn more than a new up and coming artist form the same amount of streams).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

just a little food for thought about the way streaming apparently works (here in Australia at least)

any thoughts or opinions???
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

always cool to stumble upon a stranger with a shared interest

the song - is that the same one as Foster The People did?

the numbers - I always question numbers when not knowing how they were arrived at
like how did they come up with that number
I know you don't know
just throwing it out there

my bad, i meant foster The People, not National LOL, good pick up mate.

i did ask the same question but he said that is what the industry says it is (so i guess he didnt know neither)

it does make sense in a way though because i remember when Bieber had a #1 hit in the UK a few years ago i read somewhere that even though the song spent several weeks at the top of the chart that he would have made very little out of it because it was all streams and not physical sales...

but i dont know, seriously though
its like these people pluck a number out of the air and we are supposed to accept it.

and yes, was fantastic to speak to someone who has an interest in music
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spotify issues anyone? CRAZY-HORSE 7 546 16-01-2021, 05:11
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  cassette sales at a 17 year high in the UK CRAZY-HORSE 0 326 06-01-2021, 05:54
  a real eye opener on what musicians dont earn from sales! CRAZY-HORSE 2 752 01-05-2020, 01:22
Last Post: SteveO
  Better than Spotify (1$ 3 months) fetasalaatti 3 1,235 26-03-2020, 05:40
Last Post: Jerome
Rainbow Spotify Playlists glrecs 0 823 17-12-2018, 11:07
Last Post: glrecs
  Spotify "jukebox" at the gym bob_32_116 2 833 02-02-2017, 22:23
  Vinyl outstrips digital music sales in UK bob_32_116 6 1,630 10-12-2016, 01:53
Last Post: bob_32_116
  streaming /digital sales &physical sales charts: CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,777 12-06-2016, 21:54
  music on spotify pixmaj 0 498 29-01-2016, 14:57
Last Post: pixmaj
  How to publish cover songs on Spotify and Youtube - Is it legal? rmandi 0 1,075 07-01-2016, 16:51
Last Post: rmandi