Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the sound of guitar string squeaks bother you or do you like it ?
I recently listened to a few acoustic guitar albums and again was a little distracted by the sound of guitar string squeaks ! If you are familiar at all with the guitar, the squeaks are caused by your finger moving over a string to change chords or go to another fret.

I tend to listen to most albums intently so the string squeaks become an added nuance or sound to the recording. I really don't mind the squeaks in the end I just hear them all the time and I squeaked a lot myself when I played regularly years ago.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I really like them !!

I'm sure a purist would say that they shouldn't be there, but I love hearing how a guitarist - particularly with acoustic - moves their fret hand.

Tracy Chapman's Fast Car is a good case in point...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
depends on how much I guess
yea, if I'm listening to just an acoustic guitar number, it can be distracting from something else
if I focus on it. Once I recognize it's there, I train my brain to ignore it.

Must have it in the mix - one sure way of telling that you're listening to a real guitarist. I think it adds something to the music. The harmonics generated by that (at times) colour the sound. Wish You Were Here is my example.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I think it a bit like cheating to remove them .
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
I usually like it.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
I think removing 'squeaks' is like airbrushing a models photo.....you're not presenting a true image. As a guitarist I find it a bit irritating with new strings which squeak more than a mouse on helium, but thats my own playing. But in professional music, 'squeaks' like 'taps', 'rattles', 'spangs' and 'ripcrunches' are just part of the rich texture that is the guitar sound.
Listen to the wind blow,
Watch the sun rise,
Runnin' in the shadows.
Damn your love, Damn your lies,
It's all part of the music, you shouldn't get rid of it. Just like if a singer farts on a vocal take, i'd prefer to leave it in for originality and musical odour.
Hello, I'm new to the forum but this subject came up because I was shopping for a guitar and the review for one I liked on youtube had a crazy loud squeak. I don't think people should digitally try to remove it but they should try to find techniques to remove or eliminate the sound in their playing. I honestly don't know how much control players can have over it but it is clear that some players to try to play in ways that reduce or eliminate it. I didn't think about it much until I was reading a book on African guitar styles and they said they try not to squeak at all. I think it said they lift the finger completely off the string when moving to the next note or chord. I've seen other videos where a guys says if you slide much faster and curve your finger a bit you can greatly reduce it. So yeah, I'm in the camp that doesn't like it on acoustics, especially if it's equally as loud as the notes. In Queen's "We Will Rock You" I love it because it adds a cool rhythmic elements. Some of the creaks and sounds of an instrument is ok as long as it doesn't deter from the music. Cheers.
Tony Bourge left them on Budgie's Breadfan and they just add to the air of menace! Drum pedal squeaks are another matter, however. Manfred Mann decided to leave Chris Slade's squeaky drum pedal on the Solar Fire album and I find it really annoying.

[video=youtube;6SnucuJJVQQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6SnucuJJVQQ[/video]
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Desperately needing guitar learning methods - please help zabrak 3 830 12-08-2020, 04:46
Last Post: Jerome
  Need ideas about mandolin and loop station sound? aaronjbarnes 2 1,155 05-11-2018, 07:30
  My acoustic guitar Arrangement olliver 0 670 25-11-2016, 15:51
Last Post: olliver
  Follow When Learning Guitar Chords davidksmusicschool 1 1,180 18-07-2016, 01:41
Last Post: SteveO
  See You Again - Wiz Khalifa & Charlie Puth - Fingerstyle Guitar Cover abguitar 0 1,004 11-06-2016, 22:11
Last Post: abguitar
  PRS Custom SE 22 guitar playthrough video pavlston 0 701 22-03-2016, 00:55
Last Post: pavlston
  Improvisational Guitar aviationrec 0 882 24-02-2016, 04:38
Last Post: aviationrec
  Adventures of the Sound by Alby Sound James Eyne 1 942 29-12-2015, 20:39
  Desperately seeking similar music to the song "Mondo Bongo" lazy, gritty, Span Guitar Holland 6 13,144 15-08-2015, 17:36
Last Post: DJ ALAMDA
  Magic!-Rude (guitar cover) Razvi 0 711 05-08-2015, 15:33
Last Post: Razvi