Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question regarding any possible technical differences between US/Canada CD releases
hey, is there any difference sound-wise (mastering/mixing, sound quality etc.) between US retail Cd versions and Canadian ones? someone told me Canadian CDs have 10% less mixing, is that even possible?
Welcome aboard MD, Julian ! You pose an interesting question! I wonder if our music technical expert Jerome can chime in ? I'd be interested in the answer....somehow I don't think it's true but I'm no expert !!!
juliandc Wrote:hey, is there any difference sound-wise (mastering/mixing, sound quality etc.) between US retail Cd versions and Canadian ones? someone told me Canadian CDs have 10% less mixing, is that even possible?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Interesting queston Julian. I have never encountered a variation of "mixing" in USA & Canadian versions of albums from the same label at the same time - what sometimes happens is different songs/ song order/ graphics will be included or excluded. Now if we are looking at Japanese versions that goes through the window as all sorts of things can change in production between North America & Japan.

What I know does happen is that there will be different versions of albums released at different times where the sound of an album is completely different. Depending on the flavour of the day remasters will come out sounding quite different. That won't be a difference between USA & Canada but a difference between the versions.

10% less mixing.... not sure how or why that would ever be done. I personally would not put a lot of faith in that stat.

Some re-issue labels will take the best sound source they can get - sometimes a record or CD (if they can't get access to the master tapes) and remaster it. If the sound source is of a different quality then the sound of the CD will be of a different quality - there is a HUGE variety of sound quality out there when you deal with reissues.

So to sum it up. I've not encountered a different mix of US vs. Canadian but there might be exceptions out there. Which album(s) are you wondering about?

I'd post that question with the specific album titles on an audiophile web forum and see what you get as those guys & gals will have analysed or will analyse the specific versions and give you a definitive answer. Jerome is likely to have excellent recommendations for audiophile forums as I get overwhelmed in the audiophile world and only visit when I have a specific question...haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  which music school to go in canada? behzaddanesh 3 1,179 27-07-2018, 11:28
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  new album releases 2016 CRAZY-HORSE 144 28,611 04-01-2017, 08:15
Last Post: Soniajain
  Teen rap group produced and releases hip-hop album jimmietedeschi 0 613 15-07-2016, 21:04
Last Post: jimmietedeschi
  New Album Releases For 2014 Music Head 158 20,164 09-06-2016, 20:39
Last Post: Max Guru
  New Album Releases for 2015 Music Head 152 36,894 25-12-2015, 16:22
Last Post: SteveO
  question about Free Music Archive techey61 0 590 25-06-2015, 13:19
Last Post: techey61
  Question Music Head 9 1,595 03-10-2014, 22:22
Last Post: Bellini48
  Maybe you can answer to my question? filmas3 0 562 27-09-2014, 21:36
Last Post: filmas3
  Canadian album releases 2014 ! SteveO 0 857 06-07-2014, 15:57