Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MUSICIAN and GENRE
:blah:Continuing the topic of MUSICIAN and GENRE. Sticking to one particular genre of music - is it a strength or weakness? What do you think?
tough one to answer IMO...but here's my take on it....:
sure some musicians are strong enough to say they are going to go out of their comfort zone(where they excel) and try something new, but that is also often their weakness also simply because they do it to try something different ot just to get 'back in to it' musically if they are in a rut...

it could also be simply that they themselves have discovered another artist and feel compelled to stamp their mark on a genre by adding something new to that particular genre from their perspective...rightly or wrongly in hindsight it is often where they are at in their own minds at that particular moment in time

i read an interview with David Bowie somewhere recently and he was highly dismissive of some of his mid-70s albums saying they lacked direction,the sound was terrible and the songs felt 'unfinished', but then he added that if he didnt do those albums he would not have got things like the 'scary monsters' and 'lets dance' albums out...ie:every album is a stepping stone to the next one:......so even a step backwards is a step forewards in a round about way is what he was really saying??!!

also,
Neil Young has some thirty albums unreleased in his personal archives...he recorded them then decided they werent right for that moment in time so he recorded aother albums in their place to release,some of these albums had alternate versions of tracks,some were joined and made into one track, othersstill not fully released...not sure if that is another answer for you,but again....it all comes down tot he artists musings and their 'mojo' working in sync as to where and when they cross boundaries
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Thanks for replying to my last thread. I think some musicians stick to a particular genre because they do not want to move out of their comfort zone. Probably, it's better to try different genres of music at the earlier stages of learning the trade and then at a later stage the musician can concentrate on fewer genres of music.
Kristy Leone.
*The Beatles, John Lennon, George Harrison, Opeth and Steven Wilson all dabbled or dabble in many genres! That's why I find these artists fresh and entertaining to listen to!

A MD member recently mentioned the group Flotation Toy Warning...I listened to them recently and I found myself laughing, sombre and excited throughout the record ! It was never dull or boring and fun to listen to!

Thanks whoever it was for a great group !!!!!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yacht Rock - another genre LOL CRAZY-HORSE 1 302 14-05-2022, 05:29
Last Post: JeromeD
  What music genre is good for playing poker? Krisztian 15 2,952 08-11-2020, 22:13
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  Music genre podcast jjgotya 0 559 04-04-2020, 17:33
Last Post: jjgotya
  Musician Deaths - 2018 Ruby 49 16,401 07-12-2018, 00:49
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time coykiesaol 25 7,302 21-06-2018, 19:36
Last Post: Lovely
  Musician Deaths - 2017 Music Head 95 20,315 08-01-2018, 09:45
Last Post: Ruby
  What genre is this LukeKindt 2 825 11-01-2017, 22:09
Last Post: Inna Selez
  A must for Musician kefmawin 0 822 21-09-2016, 22:55
Last Post: kefmawin
  what music genre are you? waymore 1 607 31-07-2016, 16:18
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Releasing music without permission of session musician bennik91 6 2,456 15-06-2016, 04:04
Last Post: bob_32_116