Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEW AND NOTABLE: upcoming albums
(01-02-2021, 09:41)Jerome Wrote:
(22-01-2021, 08:57)Ruby Wrote: My favourite palindrome band, Kayak are releasing a new album later this year. 

The cover artwork ... 

[Image: kayakcd121.jpeg]

The teaser ... 

Ooh nice cover - reminds me of a place in one of the Scandinavian countries????

Had to look it up - it's Atlantic Ocean Road, Norway. Well spotted! Some road!!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(07-12-2020, 21:21)Ruby Wrote: Based on the last offering from Strawbs, I'm not sure whether to be excited or filled with trepidation re their new one that's currently in the works. Judging by the happy faces in the photograph in this article, I'd say they are not the latter! 
https://www.loudersound.com/news/strawbs...settlement

No tracks have been released yet ... interesting cover artwork - symmetry, perspective and balance ... none of their album covers are remotely the same, apart from the Strawbs name, and even then there are anomalies. Wait - there is one vaaaguely similar to this - Nomadness

[Image: strawbs_settlement_c_0nnoi.jpg?1607294923]

Two tracks have now been released. Have to say, I'm curious to hear the rest of it, but am not hugely optimistic based on these which both sound quite pedestrian to my ears. That said, I keep going back to "Each Manner of Man" with John Ford on vocals - four chords n all - guess it's a winning formula!! Is that a harpsichord? Might be their saving grace - the instruments. 

"Judgement Day" with Dave Cousins singing is a bit of a chore IMHO ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt3RQ54qRPQ
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Paul Weller "fat pop"
due out in May.
lead off single has a New Wave/Bowie feel to it
so interesting how far he can push that sound on this one!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Two to keep on my watchlist. Rick Armstrong, son of that Neil, is releasing a new album ... ambient. Steve Rothery is on it, as is Tony Levin - might be a good one ... https://www.loudersound.com/news/rick-ar...gUnNWlDRHA

Then Darryl Way, violinist for Curved Air (and who's played with plenty of others including Jethro Tull) is due to release a follow up to his 2020 album Destinations, which I totally missed. The new one is Destinations 2 - go figure! Should probably seek out the first one first! ... 

not as notable as a lot of albums but the McCartney juggernaut just keeps on rolling...

a covers album by various artists
not of general Macca tunes but a re-recording of his most recent album "McCartney-III" to be entitled "IIImagined"

tracklist as follows:

"Long Tailed Winter Bird" by Damon Albarn

"Find My Way" by Beck

"Pretty Boys" by Khruangbin

"Women and Wives" by St. Vincent

"Lavatory Lil" by Josh Homme

"Deep Deep Feeling" by 3D (Robert del Naja from Massive Attack)

"Slidin" by Ed O'Brien

"The Kiss of Venus" by Dominic Fike

"Seize the Day" by Phoebe Bridgers

"Deep Down" by Blood Orange

"Winter Bird/When Winter Comes" by Anderson .Paak
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

one for the Pink Floyd fans...
a live cd of their Knebworth Headline show in 1990 out in April 2021:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/...d=msedgntp

A money-making exercise - nothing more. I have watched the whole concert on YT and it does not do much for me. I do like Candy Dulfer's contributions on the sax but I found the concert quite boring. A band just going through the motions. And who came up with that crazy sped-up portion of Comfortably Numb. It just does not fit the piece at all. Stupid decision. Will not be buying. Even the album art sucks. Floyd were always known for having unusual covers but they ran out of ideas on this one.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
CSNY "deja vu" 50th Anniversary boxset out this May.
should have been released in 2020, but with Covid it was put on hold...
could be interesting.

not really a notable for me but i cant recall Jerome or Ruby even mentioning this one.

[Image: 818AaR26zGL._AC_UL320_.jpg]

just released today yet not even on JMJ's Wiki page when i checked???

the amazon.com description:

Product description
2021 release. Amazonia is a music project with renowned, award-winning photographer Sebastiao Salgado about the Amazonian Forest. The exhibition is commissioned for the Philharmonic Paris, starting on 7th April 2021, with 52 minutes of music composed by Jean-Michel Jarre, especially to accompany the photos. The exhibition will then travel to other cities across the globe, including Rome, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and London. The London exhibition will be in the Science Museum, at a later date in 2021, while more cities will follow in 2022. JMJ will deliver a Binaural Surround Sound Version on top of standard audio which is perfect for Brand pitches, headphones, etc.

Thx for the head's up CH! Did not know a thing about this one.

Gave this the once-over via YT. It's not musical enough for me. It's just a series of soundscapes thrown together without any real themes contained within. In fact it's very difficult to distinguish one track from another. They all sound the same. Going to pass on this one. Back to the drawing board Mr Jarre.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  best albums of 2023 lists: CRAZY-HORSE 6 1,333 26-12-2023, 07:40
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Underrated Albums & Hidden Gems Ruby 9 1,014 08-10-2023, 18:59
Last Post: Ruby
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,309 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  What are some STUDIO albums that you can truthfully say that you like all the songs o SteveO 193 25,458 17-08-2023, 03:53
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  2022 EOY albums charts CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,071 13-01-2023, 12:36
  UK Albums Charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 51 4,059 31-12-2022, 07:16
  Australian Albums charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 50 3,980 30-12-2022, 07:32
  2022 EOY "best albums" lists: CRAZY-HORSE 15 1,886 23-12-2022, 07:02
  David Gilmour's five favourite albums CRAZY-HORSE 0 413 19-06-2022, 08:05
  Biggest selling albums of 2021 CRAZY-HORSE 1 700 14-01-2022, 22:59