Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What opinion do you have regarding Tribute,Cover Albums, Cover Songs and Cover Bands?
The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Guns n' Roses, Neil Young, Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney, John Lennon,Johnny Cash,etc, have all made cover versions of songs that other people wrote.

Tribute albums have been done for The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Black Sabbath, etc.

Cover songs such as Dylan's All Along the Watchtower electrified by Hendrix and Cohen's Hallelujah sung by Jeff Buckley are just a couple of examples how popular a cover version can be. Spooky Tooth's cover of I am the Walrus is one of my all time favorites. Van Morrison's version of Comfortably Numb could never top the original but his cover ain't bad !

Australian Pink Floyd is a fabulous band that I managed to catch and they replicate Pink Floyd better than anyone. Gig in the Sky is phenomenal! Cover bands serve a worthwhile purpose in providing us with the next best thing to seeing the real band in person when we realise we'll never see them live.

The Bluegrass series Pickin' On do their version of Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath among other groups to shed new light on legendary songs.

I have only skimmed the surface of the vast library of covers but for the most part I enjoy covers and tribute albums as it may refresh an old song or offer appreciation to a song that you didn't care for before. When I heard Cash's version of NIN's Hurt I liked his version better because it was basic and stripped down.

Of course the music purists will detest covers. However there must be some benefit for them. Is it to fulfill a record contract or done to fill a void of no new material ?

What are your opinions, recommendations, and responses to "Covers" ?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
excellent topic
don't have time to answer now but I will

I have no problem with covers, but the tribute band idea leaves me cold.

I've seen the Aussie Pink Floyd Show, and flawless though their recreations are, that's all they are. For a cover to work, for me anyway, there has to be some sort of creative input, and a new take on a song. Easy Star All-Stars do Reggae covers of classic albums, and I love them...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Tiggi,

Agree with the creative theory regarding covers. Have you heard 801 Live album - cover of Tomorrow Never Knows ?
so many questions,so many responses required...i cant answer this on a weekday SteveO, but i will on the weekend.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

SteveO - I have hat 801 live album - superb!
Hey Jerome,

Yes it's a gem ! The only one they made as far as I know. I listened to it again today and their cover of Tomorrow Never Knows is decent.
I'm not into comparing with the original by John. Interesting story wrt TNK, he wanted to portray a sound that would resemble a Bhuddist monk wailing from a mountain top or something to that affect ? Pretty cool concept in 1966 !

SteveO
okey dokey SteveO... firstly i see covers and cover bands as paying homeage to the original artists

i dont have a problem personally with 'cover songs' as a whole,im sure i have numerous covers in my collection,some are good, others plain crappy, i nuch prefer listening to them if the artist covering them can offer something new or interesting to the original.

as for cover bands,thats fine with me also, if people are willing to pay to see them,good luck to them, i however, would not pay to see a covers band live.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

SteveO Wrote:Tiggi,

Agree with the creative theory regarding covers. Have you heard 801 Live album - cover of Tomorrow Never Knows ?

No, never heard it or heard of it, Steve. I've stuck it on the Investigate List.

Thanks a lot.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Million Favorite Songs Music Head 125 10,763 14-09-2024, 14:47
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW AND NOTABLE: upcoming albums Ruby 241 45,739 11-08-2024, 14:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  best albums of 2023 lists: CRAZY-HORSE 6 1,314 26-12-2023, 07:40
  Underrated Albums & Hidden Gems Ruby 9 985 08-10-2023, 18:59
Last Post: Ruby
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  What are some STUDIO albums that you can truthfully say that you like all the songs o SteveO 193 25,314 17-08-2023, 03:53
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  50 FAVOURITE SONGS/TRACKS Ruby 82 9,546 01-07-2023, 09:50
Last Post: Ruby
  top 20 songs of all time CRAZY-HORSE 49 6,917 10-05-2023, 15:27
Last Post: Joe
  What in your opinion makes a piece of music an outstanding track ? gryphon 20 7,442 18-02-2023, 03:05
Last Post: GlitchedSalvation
  opinion on McCartney's isolated vocals. CRAZY-HORSE 2 812 15-01-2023, 11:02