Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Project - Online Magazine (Looking for contributors)
Hey all,

I have decided to expand my personal music blog into something bigger, particularly with my development in working on the music industry and media. The idea is to development it into a local magazine, and hopefully into a printed format as well, which will include local (Australian) and international news, album and gig reviews, feature articles and a weekly podcast. I have self-funded a lot of the resources required, including my recording equipment and the website, and my connections within the music industry both locally and internationally, may serve as useful links in the future.

Initially, I envisioned doing this for leisure, and as another item to add to my resume/portfolio, but a lot of these hobby based projects that I have been involved in have become popular enough to start making financial gain, so that is never out of the question. If you are interested in making a contribution towards this project, whether it be freelance or as a regular contributor, get back to me via email or mobile (+61 422 615 075).

Cheers,

John Wee
Got some time on your hands? Or wanna check out new (or old) music? Come have a read - http://www.wecalleditmusic.com/
i have emailed you Jon......
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Sounds interesting ...................maybe I can do something ?Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
email him G-Man....i did and got a reply back straight away, couldnt converse though because i had to go to work.....i mean hey!, what have we got to lose???
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Have you got the e-mail CH? I could not find it on his post!
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
gryphon Wrote:Have you got the e-mail CH? I could not find it on his post!
check his profile

A couple of questions;

Do you know what it costs to produce a printed magazine? Are you aware that most magzine sales are in decline. As a rough example - I have bought Sound on Sound off the newagents shelves for years and I am converting/subscribing to the online format - less hassle. (Used to work in the printing game years ago) - it's expensive to produce unless you have LOADS of advertising. Target companies like Native Instruments, Steinberg etc. i.e the companies your readers will probably be buying products from anyway.

What recording equipment? Could you elaborate please.

Can you list the resources you mention?

Can you provide a breakdown of the finances?

What stage is the online magazine currently in?

Not knocking you, just curious.

A small tip for you - the cover of your magazine should include both red and yellow colours. Studies conducted have revealed that those 2 colours sell more than anything else. (Blue and green for med and healthcare products). Think of Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Coca Cola and Colgate - the predominant colour is red. When these same products were sold with different 'leading' colours, sales dropped off. (By the way - the SOS magazine I subscribe to - the words 'Sound on Sound' are in - you guessed it -red!
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
im hoping that Jon will not mind me doing this but here is his email for anyone who wishes to contact him and cant find it on his profile???!!!! friswee@gmail.com

Jerome Wrote:A couple of questions;

Do you know what it costs to produce a printed magazine? Are you aware that most magzine sales are in decline. As a rough example - I have bought Sound on Sound off the newagents shelves for years and I am converting/subscribing to the online format - less hassle. (Used to work in the printing game years ago) - it's expensive to produce unless you have LOADS of advertising. Target companies like Native Instruments, Steinberg etc. i.e the companies your readers will probably be buying products from anyway.

What recording equipment? Could you elaborate please.

Can you list the resources you mention?

Can you provide a breakdown of the finances?

What stage is the online magazine currently in?

Not knocking you, just curious.

A small tip for you - the cover of your magazine should include both red and yellow colours. Studies conducted have revealed that those 2 colours sell more than anything else. (Blue and green for med and healthcare products). Think of Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Coca Cola and Colgate - the predominant colour is red. When these same products were sold with different 'leading' colours, sales dropped off. (By the way - the SOS magazine I subscribe to - the words 'Sound on Sound' are in - you guessed it -red!

Hey, this has begun as a personal interest project, to advance my music journalism career (hopefully). I am still a student at sydney, but yes I do understand a lot of what it means in terms of production and printing. In this case, it shall initially start off more like a news station/blog with reviews as well as a podcast which will be free for all visitors at the moment. I have been purchasing this website and stuff for years, and i have decided to start to expand. Financial profit has not even come to mind - if it does get that big, sure great but I haven't set huge goals like that since it is more of a hobby and interest than anything else.

Well, recording equipment is plentiness around the world, but I do have a studio at home which i use for my band's demos and such but also having high quality headphones for skype recording is useful, since most of you are not local!

if you would like to get into it, let me know!
Got some time on your hands? Or wanna check out new (or old) music? Come have a read - http://www.wecalleditmusic.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  interesting Rolling Stone magazine Q & A with Neil Young: CRAZY-HORSE 0 952 25-04-2018, 23:34
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Uncut (magazine), Dave Gilmour interview: CRAZY-HORSE 1 698 03-04-2017, 18:00
Last Post: Jerome
  Uncut magazine Neil Young 'ultimate guide' CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,356 10-02-2017, 16:39
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Need Help With Releasing an EP Online Tarecu 5 1,268 02-02-2016, 02:37
Last Post: Tarecu
  The Best Unknown Online Artists DanielKacey 0 750 27-01-2016, 16:51
Last Post: DanielKacey
  YOUR HOME STUDIO - professional online music studio for everyone Ioana 3 1,300 17-08-2015, 23:42
  new Adele tracked leaked online CRAZY-HORSE 0 583 31-07-2015, 12:37
  Street musicians project. groom 0 658 10-06-2015, 21:28
Last Post: groom
  An Online Community Created To Help All Walks Of The Music Industry.. DavidGreenep 0 591 22-05-2015, 23:45
Last Post: DavidGreenep
  Please help ! Small questionnaire for uni research project erinmaite 0 660 20-05-2015, 16:50
Last Post: erinmaite