The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 871 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 871 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Lap (BY Rod wave) album review
Last Lap, Rod Wave, Mellope Album Review

OVERVIEW:

This album could easily be cluttered by anyone and picked apart, which is what it deserves. It does not matter that it's all from the heart; it matters when it feels repeated and most hints of different fail. This album made me much more familiar with Rod Wave, but I can't even say in an entirely good way. Each song made me zone out more and more, and physically and mentally, I was finding it hard to make it to 10 tracks, and after 23 tracks (your welcome), I can confidently say this is mostly mid- and bad, with 2 of the features being over-autotuned rappers, which don't match Rod Wave's style at all. I don't think this will be getting a single replay from me; at least there's some positives in the...

Track by Track Review:

Track 1: Turtle Race (5/10)

It's more of an emotional story. Rod talks about in this song the hard parts of life and how he prayed to God through all of it. I think a better composer for the backbeat or a better choice would've been better, but honestly, what can I say? It is what it is, and it's on fine track with what it's done.

Track 2: Last Lap (6/10)

I liked this, but there were a few things that annoyed me: he re-used the title of song 1, he re-used verses from song 1, and basically ripped off "Turtle Race." It's like a sequel. Also, wow, rod, I get that your black, but can you chill on how many times you say the n word? It's 2 songs, and we're definitely near 15 times. Apart from that, I really liked the woman's voice, which was cutting in near the end; her voice sounded angelic and clear.

Track 3: Apply Pressure (5.5/10)

I was so lost in how many times Rod wave was saying the n word I tuned off to the lyrics.. it started off rap and turned into a more R&B chillout song. The production has created what it's needed for this song but more could've been done. The one put off though is how many times he said the n word, and it's not even a rap album. Are you going for the Guiness world record or something??

Track 4: 25 (5/10)

Rod includes a R.I.P. message to his uncle, Uncle Dee, which I entirely respect. With all respect to your uncle, I'm not giving you a free pass because of it. Because of it, the song is still mid. Luckily,  I myself can't remember the n word in this song (Googled, it does have the n word in ?). Listen, I'm not the police of bad language, but it's been nearly like 30 times you've said that word in 4 songs, Rod. Actually, back to the review, the beat follows the pattern of the others, and I feel it needs switching up; it's gotten a bit boring.

Track 5: F*** Fame ft. Lil Yachty & Lil Baby (4/10)

I never thought I would see Lil Baby work on this type of song, and expectedly he messed it up. The vocal tuning is so much on the 2 rappers voices and so little compared to Rod's that it messes up the song. Frankly, a lot of the comments were clowning on this, and I see why. This is a joke of a song, and honestly, it disappoints. It feels overproduced, but without too many parts, it's all cluttered and messed up.

Track 6: Federal Nightmare (4/10)

Damn this album getting worse by the second. You thought switching the beat to faster-paced rap and putting your vocals on would help you? No, it sounds sloppy, unorganized, and all over the place. This one belongs in the dumpster.

Track 7: Angel With A Attitude (4/10)
Woah, I completely zoned out, like it got so bad I had to go on YouTube shorts to boost my energy, flipping heck, THIS IS 23 SONGS, I CANT LAST THIS LONG ? Life as a music reviewer is so tough. ? this song is the same thing as before. I can't tell the difference, Rod. I beg for something new and exciting!!

Track 8: The Best—Rod Wave (5.5/10)

This actually works; the finger clicking fits well with the rhythm and the timing, and I like that the female vocal melody is back alongside Rod Wave. I won't spread hate on this; something has been done.

Track 9: Never Mind (6/10)

This was good, and lyrically, I didn't have any huge problems either, but Rod Wave does not need this much autotune on his voice to carry out a stable tune; it's unnecessary and makes the song feel less emotionally entwined and more scratchy.

Track 10: Mike (5.5/10)

One thing I don't like is the mumbling in tracks and how he's hard to understand, and it comes out more on this; he tries to blend a trap beat with R&B, which fits his vocals well but does not clear up the song.

Track 11: Even Love (5/10)

This had more of a calm beat to it, like it's going back to the near start of the album. This literally sounds like the same thing to me, but I guess Rod thinks because we haven't heard this beat for 20 minutes we'll forget. No,  this is just the same.

Track 12: Waited 2 Late (5/10)

It's alright for how it works; I don't like how Rod was overly repetitive near the end of the track, though; there could've been space to fill with more lyrics.

Track 13: D.A.R.E. (5/10)

Follows from the next track well and continues the calm vibe, nothing special.

Track 14: The Mess They Made (5/10)

A push of energy on this would be nicer and better for a boost, and I still wonder if Rod's vocals are natural on these tracks due to the different autotune pitches on some. This works well with the album, and I'm not complaining.

Track 15: Karma (5.5/10)

The flow changes a bit, but you can only notice if you're properly listening closely to the melody. It has a simple click-pause click, which gets faster and matches Rod's pace. I respect this song!

Track 16: Spaceship (5/10)

Including spaceship sounds in the song honestly wasn't cool to anyone, Rod. This is where the album feels like chewing gum with no flavor left. I feel he should stop it at 16 songs; it's all feeling too similar.

Track 17: Lost in Love (5/10)

Rod continues the route of talking about things to his heart with his R&B backbeat.

Track 18: Bachelor (5/10)

Wow, this is getting so repetitive I cannot even believe. If the rest of the album is all this mid-music with beats you could find for free, then please hire better people.

Track 19: Scared Love (5/10)

Rod talks about how scary love can be. I wish the beat was as chilled as it was and had something that made the song more emotionally connecting.

Track 20: Fall Fast In Love (3.5/10)

I'll repost my review here since I already reviewed this:

What a cringe-worthy, effortless song. And wow, the music video is enough to make anyone cringe. No way you picked a kid who looks 7 to pass a letter to a girl in class, and then love hearts pop up around the kid to be in the music video. What the cringe?! For the song itself, Rod Wave is rapping so blandly for this song you can almost class it as talking. Yeah, and neither did I think a music video where a ton of kids featured would have a certain word being played while showing the kids. This is so disappointing that the one artist who probably would feature on this is MC Baba.

Track 21: Passport Junkie (5/10)

I liked how this had more of a feel to it in a happier way as well, and the music video was good too.

Track 22: IRan (5/10)

I wouldn't necessarily call this a Filler track, but in some ways it is.

Track 23: Jersey Numbers ft. Rylo Rodriguez (5.5/10)

This had something to it; Rylo pulled off his verses really well to create a good ending song, and the light instrumental ending added to the ending feeling!

BEST - Last Lap
WORST: F*** Fame
FULL ALBUM RATING 4/10

Thanks for reading, and check out my other series, please. I'm on Facebook and other forum websites, and I'm planning on expanding my writeups!

Messages In This Thread
Last Lap (BY Rod wave) album review - by Mellope - 13-10-2024, 19:42

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hot 100 Summary & Review 15.10.24 #2 Mellope 0 17 Yesterday, 19:44
Last Post: Mellope
  UK TOP 100 SUMMARY & REVIEW 12.10.24 #2 Mellope 4 62 13-10-2024, 10:38
  NEW MUSIC FRIDAY REVIEW 11.10.24 #2 Mellope 1 78 12-10-2024, 08:14
  US Billboard Hot 100 8.10.24 Summary & Review Mellope 5 158 11-10-2024, 07:21
  A Modern Day distraction - Jake Bugg (Album review) Mellope 2 125 11-10-2024, 07:20
  NEW MUSIC FRIDAY REVIEW Mellope 2 165 07-10-2024, 15:41
  Coldplay's Moon Music (DELUXE) Album Review Mellope 0 106 07-10-2024, 15:32
Wink Coldplay's Moon Music Album Review Mellope 2 176 07-10-2024, 15:27
  UK TOP 100 SUMMARY & REVIEW Mellope 0 73 06-10-2024, 14:20
  My first mandolin album Jozefmandolino 2 1,806 06-03-2024, 03:36
Last Post: JeromeD