Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
What Are You Listening To?
https://youtu.be/-av5qPbEF_k

+ Goldfrapp's new album
[Image: 220px-Spice_Girls_-_Spice.png]

SPICE GIRLS  "spice"  1996

borrowed from a friend
their debut of three, had no idea they released a third one!
everything you would expect, fun pop with a couple of ballads thrown in the mix...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

best for me is the annoyingly catchy debut single

"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-Kylie_Minogue_-_Rhythm_of_Love.png]

KYLIE MINOGUE  "rhythm of love"  1990.

borrowed from a friend as my collection is still packed away from my move...
Aussie Kylie's third studio album of sixteen...
first one i have ever heard as i am not really a fan but i do own several singles of hers...
non UK'ers and Aussies would probably be unaware of just how popular she was back in the day where in both countries between 1987 and 2000 she was on par sales wise with Madonna, she just could not put a foot wrong in either country.
anyway, like i said, a first album listen of hers by me and it was everything i expected, dance orientated pop music, totally innocent, inoffensive and simple. 
lets just say i did not dislike it but neither did i like it, it is what it is.

the lead off single:

They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 220px-Savage_Garden-Savage_Garden_%28album_cover%29.jpg]

SAVAGE GARDEN  "savage garden" cd, 1997

a revisit...
their debut of only two...
a great album that does not get revisited as often as it deserves IMO
intelligent lyrics with classy pop overtones
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

Francoise Hardy - La Question - 1971

[Image: 220px-La_question.png]

Every now and then I like listening to Francoise Hardy - preferably singing in French. Not that I understand a whole lot - it just sounds nice and that's all I want to hear. No frills - a songstress without any pretension and a decent voice. Kinda soothing. Once in a while is enough though - just for something completely removed from my regular choices! Ms Hardy herself is proud of this album and I can see why. Occasionally, when a song really catches my ear, I will look up the lyrics and Google translate them ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-Kylie_hits_2011album.jpg]

KYLIE MINOGUE  "hits"  2011

borrowed from a friend, again, whilst mine are all in storage...
a Japanese only compilation...
Aussie pop starlett who rivalled the popularity of Madonna in Australia, Europe and Asia between 87 and 2010...
gotta say i really like the cover art, possibly the best ive seen from one of her releases considering im not a fan...
i only recognised four of the fourteen tracks, three of which were good, the other one i love, of the remainder i didnt care for them at all.
never a fan, and this does not change my opinion...
I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

her best by far and it is a huge earworm...

[Image: 220px-Level_42_-_Running_In_The_Family_album_cover.jpg]

LEVEL-42   "running in the family"  1987

borrowed from a friend for the road trip...
i own several of their singles from back in the day and own a compilation but have never heard a studio album so this was a good choice...
to be honest there was nothing bad on here which was good but.
its quite obvious these guys are solid musicians who create quality product but its the lack of variation that lets it down a little bit...
I LIKE THIS ALBUM

it is hard not to pick the one i have known and loved for several decades.

[Image: 220px-Prince_-_The_Versace_Experience.png]

PRINCE  "the versace experience: prelude to gold"  vinyl 1995

originally released as a mixtape that was given away to attendees of Versace's 1995 Paris Fashion Show...
only released as a limited edition purple vinyl edition for RSD (Record Store Day) in 2019...
some songs a quite crude in places, others straight out pop/dance sounds but all are unmistakably Prince in nature...
the "prelude to gold" part of the title is in reference to the fact that some of these tracks ended up in one form or another on the follow up album "the gold experience"...
nothing on here i do not like and plenty to love
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

opening track:

[Image: 220px-OdessaBeeGees.jpg]

BEE GEES  "odessa" vinyl  1969

their sixth studio album...
a double album...
wasnt highly regarded upon release but now highly respected...
project started off as a concept album but fizzled out very quickly...
stress and pressures in the studio during recording actually caused a riff between Robin and Barry with Robin leaving the trio for a short period of time...
tracks are folkie and country flavoured for the most part but remain in the pop genre regardless...
album was so good that i listened to this twice in a row earlier today.
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

the incredible opening track which sums up the whole mood of the album:

[Image: 220px-Boney_M._-_The_Magic_of_Boney_M_%2...ion%29.jpg]

BONEY M  "the magic of boney m"  vinyl 2022

a doubly vinyl re-issue of a 2006 album which in return is a re-issue of a 1980 compilation...
20 tracks on this album and enjoy every track...
i gotta admit i have a soft spot for Boney M even though they were the Milli Vanilli of their era...
cool catchy tunes that i cannot help but to tap my feet to...
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

love the energy of the late Bobby Farrell in this clip:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Zayn - Nobody Is Listening Music Head 1 527 28-01-2021, 13:43
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Ben Taylor - Listening Music Head 1 1,797 20-08-2012, 11:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE