Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
xample Wrote:Nowadays there are also podcasts, or prerecorded radio shows, they cover a wide variety of topics, from music, to pop culture, anything under the sun really.
Yeah, I watch and listen them on youtube mostly. Any other sources you could advise?
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
TechnoKitten Wrote:Yeah I usually do like how they recommend music. Accuradio being among those apps that have their own "stations". I haven't heard the same tracks in there, but I go into different channels or apps. It depends on my mood what app I go into. I'm usually listening to regular stations like in tunein.
If you really like a track what do you do? I usually find it at some place where I can add it to favorites like spotify or youtube. But that's not enough - I'd like to hear more of similar. And that's where I kind of don't like what they recommend. A different track that is by the same artist or of the same genre or is liked by others who listened to the track I like is not necessarily similar.
Posts: 37
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2015
damien Wrote:If you really like a track what do you do? I usually find it at some place where I can add it to favorites like spotify or youtube. But that's not enough - I'd like to hear more of similar. And that's where I kind of don't like what they recommend. A different track that is by the same artist or of the same genre or is liked by others who listened to the track I like is not necessarily similar.
With accuradio and tunein you can share songs you like. Tunein has a pro (paid) app as well that you can record songs. There is another radio app (at the moment I forget name), but its free and you can record songs too. I know what you mean though about wanting to hear more of the same.. I'm not sure. You can check Rdio app. But when I want to find more of similar I usually just go to an online station like in tunein and go to a genre station... I just search for like Trance, techno, or whatever and go into one of those. I know that's not what you mean exactly sorry.
♥ ♥ ♪♫♬♪ EDM Lover For Life ♪♫♬♪ ♥ ♥
Posts: 37
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2015
damien Wrote:Yeah, I watch and listen them on youtube mostly. Any other sources you could advise?
They have podcasts on internet radio apps like tunein. Just search for any topic.
♥ ♥ ♪♫♬♪ EDM Lover For Life ♪♫♬♪ ♥ ♥
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
Would anyone be interested in an online service which helps to discover music based on criteria like an individual specific aspect of a tune that you like or a combination of several aspects. For example, you could look up a track that you like and tell the service what you like about it - bass line, vocals, guitar solo, beat, etc. As a response the service would get you a list of suggestions based on criteria you entered. I think it could be of a great help in organizing personalized playlists quickly and discovering new music.
-Damien
Posts: 102
Threads: 25
Joined: May 2015
Jerome Wrote:I've often wondered just how popular internet radio really is. Do many people actually use this as opposed to analogue radio?
I use really like Pandora and I love Spotify (I actually subscribe to it). Pandora is great, if you are willing to put in the ground work to manicure your stations. If you actively rate each song (thumbs up/down) I think it does a good job of slowly but surely giving you a pretty good selection of songs. Granted I usually enter a song that I really like and go from there. Where they are really good is mixing brand new stuff with tried and true hits. I heard Walk the Moon's Shut Up and Dance MONTHS before I ever heard it on the radio. I like Spotify cause you can pick and choose exactly what you hear. If you want Lana Del Rey, look her up and push play. But they also have a plethera of playlist made by artists as well as fans as well as spotify people. I haven't really used this feature but it seems kinda cool.
"KICK OUT THE JAMS, KICK UP THE SOUL, POUR ANOTHER GLASS OF THAT ROCK AND ROLL, TURN UP THE BAND, FIRE IN THE HOLE, GONNA LOSE CONTROL TONIGHT...WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, I'M NOT AMERICAS SWEET HEART, BUT YOU LOVE ME ANYWAY!" -
Elle King "America's Sweetheart"
http://www.needleinaplaystack.com
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
TheNeedleDrops Wrote:I use really like Pandora and I love Spotify (I actually subscribe to it). Pandora is great, if you are willing to put in the ground work to manicure your stations. If you actively rate each song (thumbs up/down) I think it does a good job of slowly but surely giving you a pretty good selection of songs. Granted I usually enter a song that I really like and go from there. Where they are really good is mixing brand new stuff with tried and true hits. I heard Walk the Moon's Shut Up and Dance MONTHS before I ever heard it on the radio. I like Spotify cause you can pick and choose exactly what you hear. If you want Lana Del Rey, look her up and push play. But they also have a plethera of playlist made by artists as well as fans as well as spotify people. I haven't really used this feature but it seems kinda cool.
Yeah, agree about Pandora. You need to invest a significant amount of time and thumbs up/down to make it work for you. I think they are mostly limited by licence agreement in how they recommend music. Another disadvantage about Pandora is their music library is kinda limited. Cannot find often what I am looking for.
Posts: 102
Threads: 25
Joined: May 2015
damien Wrote:Yeah, agree about Pandora. You need to invest a significant amount of time and thumbs up/down to make it work for you. I think they are mostly limited by licence agreement in how they recommend music. Another disadvantage about Pandora is their music library is kinda limited. Cannot find often what I am looking for.
Agreed. I just listen to Pandora when I really don't care what I hear, specifically. I use it as house cleaning music, that way I'm not constantly running back to the computer.
"KICK OUT THE JAMS, KICK UP THE SOUL, POUR ANOTHER GLASS OF THAT ROCK AND ROLL, TURN UP THE BAND, FIRE IN THE HOLE, GONNA LOSE CONTROL TONIGHT...WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, I'M NOT AMERICAS SWEET HEART, BUT YOU LOVE ME ANYWAY!" -
Elle King "America's Sweetheart"
http://www.needleinaplaystack.com
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Joined: Aug 2015
damien Wrote:Would anyone be interested in an online service which helps to discover music based on criteria like an individual specific aspect of a tune that you like or a combination of several aspects. For example, you could look up a track that you like and tell the service what you like about it - bass line, vocals, guitar solo, beat, etc. As a response the service would get you a list of suggestions based on criteria you entered. I think it could be of a great help in organizing personalized playlists quickly and discovering new music.
-Damien
I think that this is a good idea. Could you share an example of such a source, I hope that it should be exist.
Posts: 12
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2015
cris_fletmer Wrote:I think that this is a good idea. Could you share an example of such a source, I hope that it should be exist.
I could not find anything like this. The closest might be last.fm music database but it does not expose any search capabilities aside of textual (i.e. by artist name or album or song - which many other services do as well by the way - Spotify). So I started a project to build a service that I described in hope that it would be of use to music fans. I am trying to figure out at this point if people are interested at all in such a service -
http://nicetune.github.io/nicetune/.