Posts: 5,551
Threads: 146
Joined: Jan 2008
greenfrogpoison Wrote:What WOULD you consider extreme? I'm open to suggestion.
Not really one of my favourite areas. My only point was that those examples were fairly mild.
Posts: 10
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2010
A friend of mine says he like Merzbow - I don't know how he can.
Posts: 12
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2009
Not familiar with Merzbow. Anything released in the United States? Is there any "out there" music you do like? (Modern Jazz, Industrial, Hardcore, etc.)
Posts: 9
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2010
One album I have only been able to listen to a few times is Hole by Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, J. G. Thirwell's quasi-industrial moniker. It is a very disturbing and heavy album but it does have an off-kilter appeal. The few times I have listened to the album all the way through have left me feeling drained - very few albums have had that effect on me so I still have it my collection. Another extreme one is Homopathy To Marie by Nurse With Wound - it was a bit too much for me in parts but it may be up your alley.
Posts: 466
Threads: 33
Joined: Jul 2009
30-01-2010, 20:37
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2010, 20:42 by Drealm.)
If you don't already know Mr. Bungle, you have to listen to them.
For the most extreme album, listen to Disco Volante.
For a good balance between extreme and listenable, or for a softer introduction to the band, listen to California.
note: they have only 3 albums, and every one of them is different. So don't think you know their music by listening just to one album.
Posts: 518
Threads: 5
Joined: May 2008
30-01-2010, 21:46
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2010, 21:57 by trbc08.)
I like Ornette Coleman, what little I've heard of Anthony Braxton, Peter Brotzmann, Throbbing Gristle, The Gerogerigegege (suggested by Iota), Captain Beefheart, James Chance & The Contortions, Einstuerzende Neubauten, what little I've heard of Webern and Stravinsky, as well. I'm sure there's more but I can't really think of them at the moment.
EDIT: also, Sun Ra, Pere Ubu, James Blood Ulmer, John Zorn, DNA, Edgard Varese, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Naked City, Master Musicians of Bukkake (another great suggestion from Iota), Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, etc.
Most of these individuals can approach this sort of music with a sense of humor, which I think is necessary. Otherwise it's achingly pretentious, like most "avant-garde" anything today, which is basically just regurgitation of the old masters.
[URL="http://www.fictionpress.com/%7Edoriane"]
[/URL]
Posts: 12
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2009
Thirwell is awesome. Most of his stuff is pretty hard to come by, and alot isn't on CD. It's also interesting that you mention Nurse With Wound. I have a copy of "Homotopy to Marie" and I'm struck by how much it sounds like some Modern Classical composers, those who compose in a "Music Concrete" genre. Also the word "homotopy" -- "homo" as in "same" and "topy" as in "topography". The music is true to its title -- explorations along an unchanging music landscape.