Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Semitone Wrote:I appreciate that the socioeconomic situation that created jazz lead to the appeal of this sense of individual empowerment and group cooperation the improvisation provides. As well as it being good fun, impressive in the right situation and a good social opportunity.
Can't remember having read a more snobbish, elitest disquisition as this. What I've highlighted seems particularly dismissive. This post commits a social crime.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 17
Threads: 1
Joined: Oct 2013
OK, man. Back off. No way was I being remotely snobbish. I was simply pointing out the deficiency of improvisation as a method of composition compared with pre-composition. If anything, the musicians who insist on this culture of improvisation and compromise their music for the sake of some dated ideology are the biggest snobs and if you agree with them, you are too. Iâm happy for people to enjoy music of any style but no matter what style are composer tries to create, they shouldnât just purposefully make it difficult for themselves. With pre-composition, there is potential for beyond improvisation especially if you wish to use more than a handful of instruments or have any degree structure. Chaos is a pleasant aesthetic but itâs not the only one and if you believe that chaos is not the purpose of jazz you canât possibly deny that improvisation wouldnât incline the music that way. If you maintain that âproper jazzâ is improvised then you are the elitist among us because even barely adequate sounding improve ainât easy.
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
01-10-2014, 02:42
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014, 02:49 by Jerome.)
Hoo boy, here comes WW3 - this is better than television.
BTW this statement
'I mean, if your goal is to create beautiful music, then improvisation only impedes that and should only be done recreationally.'
is complete crap. Most good music comes about as a result of improvisation, experimentation & good old jamming. In fact not only does it not impede composition - it aids it.
As long as beautiful, moving, thought-provoking music is created, who cares how it's created. The goal has been achieved.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
No, Bro Jerome, not from me. We made our valid points without stirring up too much dust. I'm done with this although you have my on-going best wishes and support.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
I won't be adding to this post either - said my bit on this and I am done with it. Right or wrong.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.