Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2013
Spider Forest (a South Korean movie) is a psychological horror / mindf*** movie with a story that caves in on itself. It is the kind of movie, which leads many viewers to unravel the movie in their heads, long after they have watched it.
David Lynchâs Lost Highway is another one, but unlike Spider Forest the strange stuff seems to balance out into what could be interpreted as a very sophisticated time travel story (probably not David Lynchâs intention).
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
mike oldfield's music for The Exorcist...an obvious choice but sometimes you have to state the obvious
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 43
Threads: 5
Joined: Jul 2013
Thanks for those titles, burke! I'll try to get hold of them on the spot! I'll let you know my thoughts on them when I've finished watching them! Techman, I totally agree with you. Those movies that make your imagination run wild blow me away; there's no need for torture or gruesome images. In Asia, there seems to be a knack for making this kind of mystery movies without morbid ideas. I can recommend Kairo, The Eye, La Casa Muda (a horror one from Uruguay), a classic: The Others.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
What's the overall feeling of the SAW movie series, members? I watched the first one and the last one...that's enough for me !!!...very violent and graphic in a sicko way!
I will be watching the psychological horror films as I tend to gravitate to those for the most part.
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 417
Threads: 183
Joined: Dec 2007
The saw films are not horror films. They are gore films. You are not likely to sit on the edge of your seat waiting for a monster to jump out at you. Instead your likely to throw up because it is nasty. The hostel was the same.
Posts: 75
Threads: 7
Joined: Jun 2013
"Audition" a Japanese movie.
America has lost the ability to produce good horror films for the most part although they still get a good one off occasionally. I really enjoyed "Session 9". But all these remakes of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" are just horrible. The original was it, so quit trying to better it, it's not working. They tried to remake "The Shining" and it blew chunks. Just leave it alone, Kubrick's version is it. We just keep repackaging the same thing for a younger audience and that is so disingenuous. Let them watch the originals.
Lovely Linda
Unregistered
I agree with techman! I don't like slasher films.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
techman Wrote:The saw films are not horror films. They are gore films. You are not likely to sit on the edge of your seat waiting for a monster to jump out at you. Instead your likely to throw up because it is nasty. The hostel was the same.
the original Saw movie was a great thriller, full of suspense IMO...it was actually written and made by two Australians, then hollywodd bought the franchise and it went all 'blood and guts'....
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Hey Techman! I thought the SAW series would fit into the HORROR genre because they are horrific films! ..and it's the only film of a slight interest I could get on Netflix..Crazy Horse was right , the first one was a far cry and better than the last one!.I'm beginning to think Netfklix is a rip off...B movies and the like,...I checked out the psychological horror movies recommended by the MD members and came up with nothing! \
However I watched a very good comedy last night ...THE SITTER...A GOOD LAUGH !
techman Wrote:The saw films are not horror films. They are gore films. You are not likely to sit on the edge of your seat waiting for a monster to jump out at you. Instead your likely to throw up because it is nasty. The hostel was the same.
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 29,761
Threads: 8,840
Joined: Aug 2009
you are right about netflix SteveO
wife signed us up a few months ago
I will be unsigning us as soon as the new tv season starts