Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
Jerome Wrote:And another - http://youtu.be/JdPV4yO7LKQ
It's easy to pick an artist/ near genius who not only writes/sings/produces a musical genre, but in the popular imagination, defines it; the trick is to find those who, while 2nd tier, moved a genre forward or brought it, vital and lively, into a new era. Got any of those? (reggaeton/dubstep does not qualify as "moving it forward"--"Antlers in the treetop/by/ who goosed the moose?", etc).
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 3,952
Threads: 645
Joined: Feb 2014
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:yeh...
im not a fan of Reggae really...
How about some C&W songs by an early reggae band? Universal themes here, as written and originally done by Neil Diamond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFub1S4HuWg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNgzk0TvJJI << sure had a thing for red sparkling wine, didn't he?
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Brilliant response Gryph !!!!
"Of course to play with the Beatles ( but I am the fifth Beatle!)"...you got that right friend !!!!!
gryphon Wrote:I thought long and hard about this one and I could not come up with just one so instead here are a few
I fancy being Frank Sinatras piano player Bill Miller so I can sit and acompany Frank with "Its Quarter To Three .........
I want to be on stage with Buddy Holly so I can play Everyday and Words of Love
I would just love to duet with Elvis on Hound Dog
I would like to be between Mick and Keith to play Satisfaction
I want to do the backing vocals on a Clifford T Ward track maybe wherewithal
I would find it wonderful to play with Nick Drake on a track
To play with Bill Legend and Marc Bolan in T.Rex
A support role with Bob Dylan
I would love to duet with George Harrison on My Sweet Lord
A role in ELP on keyboards
A complementary riff or two with Steve Howe in Yes
Maybe I could put in a contribution to one of Mike Oldfields multitrack
and Oh to sing with Johnny Cash would make life complete
Of course to play with the Beatles ( but I am the fifth Beatle!)
I would find it heaven to do a harmony part with The Beach Boys
The list goes on.................
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 9,643
Threads: 255
Joined: Jun 2010
25-07-2014, 21:29
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2014, 21:35 by Jerome.)
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:i had almost forgotten about The Police....
i used to like them back in the day but their music just turns me off nowadays...still love their "syncronicity" album though...
love Sting's "dream of the blue turtles" and "nothing like the sun" solo sets also....
as a footnote,
tickets just went on sale here for Sting and Paul Simon together on the same bill....starting price for tickets is $189.
im not going to see them live,as i said, went off Police Sting some years ago, and Simon,well, never been a big fan of his neither but he's okay IMO.
Sting's version of Jimi's 'Little Wing' on 'Nothing Like The Sun' is superb. Have to disagree about Paul Simon. One of the most eloquent lyricists ever. And some of his music is quite complex as well. Saw him in Cape Town many moons ago. One of the best concerts I have been to and that's coming from a electronic/progressive fan - go figure!
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
i think he's a great lyricist also J-man,
i own "rhythm of the saints" and "graceland", love both albums, "cecilia" is one of my favourite tracks ever also..
i just think im over him for now...
love Sting's "little wing" cover,probably the best thing on the album for me...who'd have thought he would cover Hendrix so brilliantly!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
Posts: 13,354
Threads: 236
Joined: May 2011
Is that the concert with Michael Brecker blasting his electronic sax ??? I remember you said it blew you away J man ! I can't find a video of it ????? Jerome Wrote:Sting's version of Jimi's 'Little Wing' on 'Nothing Like The Sun' is superb. Have to disagree about Paul Simon. One of the most eloquent lyricists ever. And some of his music is quite complex as well. Saw him in Cape Town many moons ago. One of the best concerts I have been to and that's coming from a electronic/progressive fan - go figure!
The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Posts: 10
Threads: 7
Joined: Jul 2014
31-07-2014, 21:41
(This post was last modified: 31-07-2014, 22:50 by Music Head.)
Arctic Monkeys
Posts: 55
Threads: 12
Joined: Feb 2014
The Babysitters Circus!!!
Posts: 57
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
I would join The Beatles. Not because I like them (I don't get all the hype about them), but because they are incredibly famous which would make me famous by association, and rich too. I would then use my new found fame, and money to start a prosperous solo career, and of course to date another celebrity, most likely Jessica Alba.
I haven't decided what to write in my signature yet.
Posts: 35,590
Threads: 3,572
Joined: Jul 2010
a few flawa in your comments....
1. getting famous by association is not good,riding on the coattails of people who have physically achieved something is slack and lazy...a problem with the modern generation ie: you all want everything but dont want to do anything to get it!
2. how can you have a prosperous solo career without talent...relying on the famous names of others who have achieved it will only take you so far before the world discovers/realises that you an "imposter/fake"
3. why do you want to date "another celebrity"?...just to say you can is not valid or condusive to a forming a longterm relationship, that is why most of these cso-called celebrity relationships break down as often as they do ie: no substance or emotional connection,its all about 'look at me, im with so-and-so"
you are living in a dream world mate....that is not reality...but then again, your whole generation(and im assuming you are under 22) thinks this is 'real life', all those stupid reality shows have a bloody lot to answer for, and the Kardashians,who have no talent whatsoever are the main culprits IMO...
TRY GETTING A REAL JOB< DOING A GOOD HARD DAYS WORK AND ACTUALLY START EARNING THE MONEY YOU GET!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..." - Me 2014.
|