Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most influential Individual in Music
TraceNspace Wrote:I suppose but I still think they sought out actual talent instead of creating stars they think the public will enjoy like they do now.

I still think that there is some quota for talent, maybe there was a higher standard back then, though. But look at Adele, I don't think that she'd be famous if she didn't have an amazing voice.
I don't mind your "not for the light hearted" recommendations .....lol...also I have Bryars...very good ...thanks for the list Frownland !
Frownland Wrote:Well the fact that they would be in songbooks would show that they are overrated because too many people see them as the greatest songwriters to have lived is what I meant. And good point on TMR! I would say that it is one of the most influential albums on the avant-garde scene, almost as much as I would say that it ranks along with Edgard Varese's work in terms of creativity and how artists look at music in a different way after hearing (or getting, since TMR takes multiple listens for people to enjoy it in most cases) it, but this cult status came about years after it was released.

I know a little bit about minimalism. I would definitely suggest Morton Feldman's works, Gary Bryars's "Sinking of the Titanic", any of Brian Eno's ambient works, John Cage (I'd suggest him all around, but for minimalism I would check out his song Twenty Nine), and Phillip Glass's solo piano pieces. You can check out lowercase (EXTREME minimalism) through Steve Roden's "Forms of Paper". I know a few other artists, but their work is not for the light-hearted.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
SteveO Wrote:I don't mind your "not for the light hearted" recommendations .....lol...also I have Bryars...very good ...thanks for the list Frownland !

No problem, man. If you're looking for new artists to check out, you can use this website http://www.whatthefuckshouldilistentonow.com. It's a fantastic way to discover new artists based off of your current music taste. Sorry about the language.
Have you heard anything by the Cold Meat Industry label ? ...very strange stuff ..but good !!!...lol
Frownland Wrote:No problem, man. If you're looking for new artists to check out, you can use this website http://www.whatthefuckshouldilistentonow.com. It's a fantastic way to discover new artists based off of your current music taste. Sorry about the language.
Lead singer of Nirvana for sure or Gerard Way from mcr
Great comment Trace ! You hit the nail on the head my dear!!!!!!
TraceNspace Wrote:I suppose but I still think they sought out actual talent instead of creating stars they think the public will enjoy like they do now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2024 Music Head 50 5,338 17-09-2024, 19:40
Last Post: Music Head
  Who is your favorite DJ (music)? sing-a-long 2 1,143 18-02-2024, 06:13
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  my christmas haul of music CRAZY-HORSE 0 1,285 29-12-2023, 01:40
  Billboard Music Charts For 2023 Music Head 74 12,483 27-12-2023, 13:10
Smile What year is your favorite in hiphop music? sing-a-long 1 852 17-10-2023, 04:36
  Vintage Music Reviews Ruby 2 505 08-10-2023, 16:51
Last Post: Music Head
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  Artistic Music Videos Sylwira 0 494 13-07-2023, 08:03
Last Post: Sylwira
  Favorite era of music? sing-a-long 2 1,058 17-06-2023, 05:19
Last Post: purpleocean
  What is a music enthusiast to do ? SteveO 15 3,716 21-02-2023, 14:26
Last Post: JeromeD