Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Modern Day distraction - Jake Bugg (Album review)
A Modern Day Distraction Album Review – Jake Bugg

This is my first full album review of Jake, so I'm excited ? And I still am after...

OVERVIEW:

This album explores multiple themes throughout its 12 songs, emotionally and lyrically. This album made me feel thoughts of happiness and uplifting while giving me scary realities of how fast time is moving and that I need to push on in life. This album definitely has repeats, and honestly, nothing hurt my ears. Jake has experience, and this album shows it. Shout out to the producers too on this. I think it's a pretty good sound, and wow! This time I do have a lot more to add in my...

TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW:

Song 1 - Zombieland (6/10) Jake's voice combined with the guitars works really well, and the production measures the correct pitch for every part too. Jake's voice is merged well for indie and soft rock, but this doesn’t give me any extras. As much as this is good, it's like a pop singer hitting the same high note – we know you can do it, and we want to hear something fresher to your sound.

Song 2 - ALL Kinds Of People (6/10) This was definitely good, but once again, it's not making me feel anything amazing. It's just "fair play, that’s a good song." The lyrics were just recurring and played in a loop over and over again with the same noise, and Jake's voice already sounds like it’s going to get tiring after 12 songs. I’m only at song 2! This ain’t bad, but it’s not something I would play again either.

Song 3 - Breakout (7/10) Spoke too soon – this is an amazing song! The positive message actually inspired me to push through, and this song is all about breaking out and feeling inspired! Because it won’t always hurt this bad. Jake sings it with a higher pitch in his voice than the first two songs, and it sounds like there’s some passion in the vocals too. Call this a breakout song! Look this up!

Song 4 - Never Said Goodbye (7/10) I rated this before on one of my New Music Friday reviews, but listening to it a second time, it honestly felt harder. This is supposed to be about death – that they never said goodbye – but it hurts me from other ways too. It’s the kind of song where everything matches and can be perceived in many different ways. Wow, I went from having a boost of motivation to almost crying.

Song 5 - I Wrote The Book (6/10) This is like "Breakout" but with slightly less of the cheerful high beat, while still remaining cheerful. I do think we are back to the kind of Jake which is average. As much as the song has a good purpose and is made well, having a positive song does not make me automatically give it a pass. This isn’t "meh"; it's actually decent, but I feel something could have been added to give it that extra needed hint.

Song 6 - Waiting For The World (6/10) This had the same message as the past songs – grind because the world won’t just save you. This is a reasonable track that I didn’t mind. It was produced well and was thankfully put into the correct hands, but I do feel that Jake Bugg needs to try a more unique style to his voice or tone because at this point, anything different will refresh the mood.

Song 7 - Instant Satisfaction (6/10) I feel this song has the ability to grow on me as time goes by, but judging by first listen, this isn’t a favorite. I do have to give credit though, Jake still manages to capture the moment of each feeling and emotion really well in his music and blends his sound with it really well even with this track too. It's not a memorable song personally, but I definitely see effort made on this.

Song 8 - Got To Let You Go (6/10) This album is really one for ups and downs! This song follows the same format as the rest of the songs, but Jake's voice has more of a gentle ease at parts, which compliments the energy of this track well.

Song 9 - All That I Needed Was You (6/10) This was the complete opposite of "Got To Let You Go" in meaning and lyrics. This time it’s more of a calming, light love song. This felt different from the previous 8 songs on the album but followed the format of it well. This is the type of gentle music we need.

Song 10 - Keep On Moving (6/10) Follows the album's themes well and speaks the truth about keeping moving and not stopping. There is no specific memorable moment in this for me. The whole thing continues its same vocal and melody to the end.

Song 11 - Beyond The Horizon (6.5/10) This had a really pleasant length, and the runtime being longer for this was a good choice too. In some parts of the song, I heard Jake's notable sound fade, which isn’t bad, it’s just different for the song, and it sounded refreshing as well. Overall, this song was made from the heart, and that’s what I love about it.

Song 12 - Still Got Time (7/10) He really added in extra effort for the final push! The instrumental jam and the strong clear message that you still got time and it’s never too late to dream – wow, this felt deep in the heart, and I felt this message a lot. Jake meant what he said with passion and honestly finished off the album with a positive bang. Love it!

BEST: Still Got Time WORST: Instant Satisfaction FULL ALBUM RATING: 7/10

Thanks for reading! I do a ton of other cool stuff too. Wherever you’re reading this, follow me on the other places: Buzzjack, Music Discussion, AOTY, RateYourMusic, Facebook. Peace ✌️
^^

i cannot believe Jake is up to album number six with his new offering..

i have is first two albums and really like both of them, sadly, i became distracted and didnt get round to his latter albums...

did you know he was discovered by Noel Gallagher?
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

(10-10-2024, 11:10)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: ^^

i cannot believe Jake is up to album number six with his new offering..

i have is first two albums and really like both of them, sadly, i became distracted and didnt get round to his latter albums...

did you know he was discovered by Noel Gallagher?

My bad for not replying on Thursday (It's my break day) I wouldn't of known if he was discovered by Liam, because 13 years ago I was a bit to young to be a music buff ? that's a fun fact though, I don't mind Liam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Lap (BY Rod wave) album review Mellope 2 206 3 hours ago
Last Post: Mellope
  Hot 100 Summary & Review 15.10.24 #2 Mellope 0 18 Yesterday, 19:44
  UK TOP 100 SUMMARY & REVIEW 12.10.24 #2 Mellope 4 68 13-10-2024, 10:38
  NEW MUSIC FRIDAY REVIEW 11.10.24 #2 Mellope 1 79 12-10-2024, 08:14
  US Billboard Hot 100 8.10.24 Summary & Review Mellope 5 164 11-10-2024, 07:21