Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
who is your favorite blues artist
#21
I'd have to say lonnie johnson and Elvis
Reply
#22
Mine has to be Michael Bloomfield, the greatest electric guitarist who ever bent a string. His tone, attack, control, fluidity and emotional content has not been suppassed. Unfortunately very little video exists of him, but check out "drinking wine/electric flag" or stop with Al Kooper on youtube. Then realise, he took the blues into the same areas that Miles and Coltrane did. I saw him 3 times with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band on their tour of UK in fall of 66, an incredibly aggressive industrial blues band. I also saw him twice in San Francisco in the late 60's he took your emotions to a spiritual place if you were prepared to go along with him.

Other than him I have a lot of time for Muddy, Howling, Buddy Guy and Lonnie Mack
Reply
#23
latorius Wrote:Mine has to be Michael Bloomfield, the greatest electric guitarist who ever bent a string. His tone, attack, control, fluidity and emotional content has not been suppassed. Unfortunately very little video exists of him, but check out "drinking wine/electric flag" or stop with Al Kooper on youtube. Then realise, he took the blues into the same areas that Miles and Coltrane did. I saw him 3 times with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band on their tour of UK in fall of 66, an incredibly aggressive industrial blues band. I also saw him twice in San Francisco in the late 60's he took your emotions to a spiritual place if you were prepared to go along with him.
or check out these 2 awesome albums:

[Image: f54993r9k0d.jpg]


[Image: n19018xinzr.jpg]

Reply
#24
Michael can also be heard in good form on the "Lost Tapes from the Filmore East, with Al Kooper, a ropy rhythm (?) section does not obscure the magnificence of his playing. Check out "one way out" and "season of the witch" sublime.
Reply
#25
I also like willie big eyes smith
Reply
#26
How about Ray Charles - Yeh! and B.B.King. Just to name two of my favs.
Reply
#27
3 kings! bb king, smooth, albert king, mad bends, freddie king, groovycrazy!
Reply
#28
Up until now I've been of the opinion that I don't like Blues too much and find it boring.

This is strange because I love Led Zeppelin and a lot of sixties music, a lot of which is blues based.

A lot of what I'd heard before was Electric Blues (John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf etc)

But earlier today I decided to use this great internet thing to check out some more blues - and some earlier blues too. And although I'm not too keen on the Electric Blues I have discovered two artists that (judging on what I've heard so far) I've taken a little bit of a shine to.

They are: Blind Willie McTell and Bessie Smith

I'm gonna say I like Blind Willie McTell the most. It must be because I'm a Bob Dylan fan or something
Reply
#29
[Image: 3203380937_2cf6c19a35_o.jpg]

[Image: 3203380933_2aedc24014_o.jpg]

[Image: 3204106418_7ce3e045f7_o.jpg]


Muddy, John Lee and others mentioned are great, but here are a few more...

[Image: 3203380923_b9d26942c2_o.jpg]

[Image: 3204106412_ea56935deb_o.jpg]
Reply
#30
Jonny Lang
Joe Bonamassa
Jeff Healey
Robert Johnson
are truly exceptional and there are the final for me
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love the blues bluesman 22 11,242 20-10-2021, 08:10
Last Post: JeromeD
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,906 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
  NEW SINGLE: Morrissey ft: Billie Joe Armstrong "wedding bell blues" CRAZY-HORSE 0 815 25-04-2019, 13:06
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Amazing soul artist perfect music video Nina !!!! Nina Tolins LillySam 1 1,702 29-06-2016, 09:26
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Pianist Marika Takeuchi Is A Top Airplay Artist Who Radio Programmers Love Eugena 0 1,564 17-05-2016, 22:54
Last Post: Eugena
  Anyone know any good female blues/rock singers? Pipikins321 45 30,605 26-02-2016, 13:43
Last Post: GilesM
  My favorite song patrickowen21 0 1,278 15-11-2015, 06:58
Last Post: patrickowen21
  Recent Blues LP finds... vinyldisc 13 7,934 13-06-2015, 04:21
Last Post: jazzboCR
  New music video - fresh artist Amalia Alberto Watty 0 1,339 10-03-2015, 03:23
Last Post: Amalia Alberto Watty
  Britain's best sing.jump blues outfit jazzboCR 0 1,034 16-02-2015, 01:39
Last Post: jazzboCR

Forum Jump: