Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl to Digital
Well, I understand why you wanna do it. It's not like you cant listen to your vinyls anymore. But I also like the idea of having everything I own digitalized, if something should happen to it, and so I can better keep in track with what I've got!
I always thought the good thing about the guitar was that they didn't teach it in school.
-- Jimmy Page
Well, in any case I ended up getting mostly Cds with my vinyls that I bought and yes it probably isnt the best method money-wise but i loved having a hard vinyl and a REAL copy of it on CD. I do own an iPod and have some music on that but i cant be bothered converting all my music to Lossless digital format (because my music collection is at 40000 songs and growing.
Got some time on your hands? Or wanna check out new (or old) music? Come have a read - http://www.wecalleditmusic.com/
music head, have you started transferring from vinyl to digital yet?

my new turntable comes with the USB port thingy and the software to install it, so i'll give it a go over the Christmas break if you've done it and it sounds ok.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

lol.
Let's just say a lot gets lost in the translation.
Started my lifelong project back whenever I got it. Stopped shortly thereafter.
My intent was to, as I was listening to my vinyl, to copy any 3.0 track to the device, put that on my computer, and then copy to my mp3.
By the time I got through about 20 songs, and had listened to them repeatedly on my mp3, I realized the quality was sorely lacking.
A bad experience for me.
Not knocking the process, it could very well be my hardware quality. I have nothing to compare to.
Amazed the technology even exists, putting aside the quality of it.
Yea, that was a fun project, for about 2 weeks.
Good luck with yours bud.

Maybe I'm getting long in the tooth .........

In Europe around 1955 or so vinyl came to be the format.

I can see the move clearly to it from shellac was a good sound move.

1985 brought CD and to be honest this was the digital step.............all other formats etc are just variations on a theme

What does strike me is this : In the late 60's all have to be solid state no matter what...it was the God and all tube ( Valve ) gear was second rate................

However we have learnt our lesson and we now realise it can be horses for courses and that one can be good and so can the other.

In 2010/1 you buy what your ear likes the sound of and valve based ipod dock can be wonderful.

In 2010/1 we see CD,vinyl,mp3 are all there..............They all represent something

BUT the thing that interests me most is record company archiving for the future:

It was to be CD and no dispute.................However , it is not......it is high quality vinyl that record archiving is done with for the next generation.............

Why because in the process nothing is lost ! There is little that can not be digitally enhanced and recovered ..............even recreated !

So, if it is good enough for that and the HI-Fi sales of turntables is healthy and rising and vinyl is an increasing market.........it seems to me that it is not necessary to transfer any thing unless you really want to.Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
very well said gryphon

My goal was to have nothing but tracks I loved on my vinyl, transferred to mp3, thus having them available, wherever I went.
Then I realized, I dont go anywhere. The joke was on me. Why go thru all that hassle when I don't need to.
Now I don't have to remember to push that start button when I hear one of my favorite tracks, and push that stop button when it's over.

good arguement Gryphon, my only intention is to transfer for posterity,ie... if a vinyl gets scratched its unplayable. as it happens,IMO, i prefer the sound of vinyl over cds, and well designed album covers lose their effect in a 3"x3" picture
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

well designed album covers lose their effect in a 3"x3" picture

Ain't that the truth.
The biggest downside with the switch from vinyl to cd imo.

I haven't bought vinyl for years.

Firstly, new vinyl pressings are expensive, and I've no appetite for scouring shops for second hand vinyl. I switched to CD when it was becoming increasingly difficult to buy vinyl versions of the music I wanted.

The absolute difference between good vinyl pressings and good CD recordings is small enough that I'm happy to listen to CD, BUT twenty years after I switched, vinyl still has a clear upper hand when played on the right equipment. Most of our listening is on CD these days, but the sound of vinyl still puts a grin on our faces.

Vinyl Rools !!

Having said that, digital certainly has its' uses. Gets a bit confusing when you hear digitally recorded vinyl...

I was thinking of your vinyl transfer project a few weeks ago, Ed. Lo and behold, an update without even having to ask for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my parents' vinyl collection CRAZY-HORSE 14 1,496 06-01-2023, 05:21
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Do You Still Buy Cds / Vinyl? metalife 6 1,699 27-08-2020, 14:01
Last Post: SteveO
  my Dad's vinyl... CRAZY-HORSE 38 7,202 11-08-2020, 04:42
  the vinyl revival continues: CRAZY-HORSE 10 2,331 05-02-2017, 09:43
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Vinyl outstrips digital music sales in UK bob_32_116 6 1,733 10-12-2016, 01:53
Last Post: bob_32_116
  streaming /digital sales &physical sales charts: CRAZY-HORSE 3 1,867 12-06-2016, 21:54
  UK vinyl charts turn 1 this week CRAZY-HORSE 0 837 15-04-2016, 07:17
  Are there digital music stores with detailed release information? Zerneim 5 1,214 09-04-2016, 15:44
Last Post: Zerneim
  who loves vinyl? oldies65 7 1,874 10-06-2015, 15:40
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Me and My Vinyl Engine ! gryphon 6 1,996 25-01-2012, 15:14
Last Post: Jerome