Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 41AgQryq3YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

HOWARD JONES "dream into action" 1985.....from the Music Head vinyl library

another of the ones i picked out towards the end of my sojurn that i own...i could see MH's face cringe when he saw this one as he is not a big fan of 80's electronica....but i picked it and it had to get played anyway.
i used to like this one when it first came out and i guess i still do, b ut it does only make the borderline "like" for me with 1.7 and just misses the mark at 1.6 for MH.
this was Howard's second album and it contained no less than five hugely successful singles both in the UK and in Australia including "things can only get better", "life in one day", "like to get to know you well", "look mama" and mine and MH's favourite track on the album "no-one is to blame" which is a well written ballad that still holds up well today....which cant really be said for the rest of the album with half of it both us disliked, still, it is still worth getting just for that "no-one is to blame" song.
below are the links to the two tracks that scored the highest ratings between us on that listen:

life in one day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWglhugZZ-c live

no-one is to blame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENB2eX-U3a8 live
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 1711600.jpg]

JIMMY BUFFETT "changes in latitude,changes in altitude" 1977,cd. from the MH son-in-law cd collection

Music Head's son-in-law Major Tim, is a huge Buffett fan, has almost all of his studio albums and has seen him perform live on several occasions also, and this was one of the cd's that he picked out for me to listen to whilst in Florida and man, i was surprised to find just how good he is...i mean all we ever hear here in Oz is "margaritaville"(which is featured on this album and his hit from the 1980's entitled "its five o'clock somewhere"....both of which i like immensely!
i may gett criticised for putting JB in the "pop" section as he is a predominantly country artist...but i feel this album belongs in the "pop genre".
MH loved five of the ten tracks here and i loved 2 and likes the rest....darn it!, another of the MH clan has inspired me to check out and buy some cds ive listened to.....its about to cost me more in cd purchases than my entire trip cost for four weeks!!!! Doh!
MH rated this one in the "love" range giving it 2.4, and I gave it a more than solid rating of 2.2 on a first listen.
the tracks that we both agreed on a *** rating get the links here.
i implore you to check out this album if you have time and dont know what JB has done in his career and i promise you that you wont be dissapointed by seeking him out!

banana republics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-N9L3ZXWPA audio

margaritaville
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTf5qvS0Lo live
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^ High praise indeed !!

On to The List it must go...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Grew up going to the Florida Keys every summer and listening to Jimmy Buffet! Great memories!
The Ultimate Bee Gees

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1030[/ATTACH]

Listening on the PC this fine Sunday morning, fun for the whole family. CH's Aussie post inspired this display of disco. I'm a sucker for 'Tragedy'!
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
TraceNspace Wrote:The Ultimate Bee Gees

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1030[/ATTACH]

Listening on the PC this fine Sunday morning, fun for the whole family. CH's Aussie post inspired this display of disco. I'm a sucker for 'Tragedy'!

both MH and i love these guys immensely...except for their disco material, i must admit though that "jive talkin" gets under my skin with its infectious sounds

ps, i have never had the urge to watch Saturday Night Fever, not sure if its the songs that put my off or Travolta?

I know I've seen it but I can't quite remember it well enough to tell you if I liked it. There was one scene about Travolta's hair that is so memorable that it still makes me laugh but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or not.
"I said, I found the secret to life, I found the secret to life
I'm okay when everything is not okay, is not okay"

~Tori Amos, Upside Down
Im listenin to under and over it from five finger death punch's new album American Capitalist. I cant wiat till it comes out on oct. 11.
Listening to Dream Theater's new album A Dramatic Turn of Events...good to see more quality work coming from them!
Ironic that the Bee Gee's were such a joke with the disco, yet reached their peak with it.
Odessa is their best album

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Zayn - Nobody Is Listening Music Head 1 527 28-01-2021, 13:43
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Ben Taylor - Listening Music Head 1 1,797 20-08-2012, 11:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE