Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I have never listened to punk
#11
Oh god so much.... I've got my work cut out for me... Although now that I know some of the bands I'm familiar with are considered punk I suppose I have a better idea of what it may be. Is punk related at all to emo? Green day seems to fit more into the emo category.
"Music is what feelings sound like"
-Unknown

Now if only we could listen properly we'd get an idea of what its really about.
Reply
#12
I hate to bang this drum constantly !!!! When they first arrived on the scene and MTV Much Music showed their videos they used the power chord agression of a punk band and lead man Joey Armstrong had green hair,,,they are not hard core punk nor are The Clash in my humblest of opinions...I just know that Time of Your Life is one of my all time favorite songs and their latest live album is very uptempo with the crowd singing along...I am not a huge fan of Green Day ! when they first came out in early 90s or there abouts they were defined as PUNK. They have moved away from the Punk label and do more or less pop punk, rock, etc...

Sex Pistols and Ramones are representative of real punk in my estimation.

EMO is related to emotional music or screamo ...AFI and Owl City are the only two I am familiar with !

"Green Day's sound is often compared to first wave punk bands such as the Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, and the Buzzcocks.[SUP][20][/SUP] Citing the band's musical style prevalent on Dookie, Stephen Erlewine of Allmusic described Green Day as "punk revivalists who recharged the energy of speedy, catchy three-chord punk-pop songs."[SUP][57]QUOTE from ALLMUSIC[/SUP]

centermez Wrote:Oh god so much.... I've got my work cut out for me... Although now that I know some of the bands I'm familiar with are considered punk I suppose I have a better idea of what it may be. Is punk related at all to emo? Green day seems to fit more into the emo category.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#13
agree CH, the Dropkick Murphys are all high energy ..very popular here in Halifax !!!!

CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:agreed...The Clash werent punk after their debut set which is IMO the greatest "punk" record ever made, they still had "punk" ideals after that debut set but their music took an about turn as they tempered more and more with Funk and Reggae,however, when you see their live performances(along with The Jam) they remained punk at heart on stage
the ame goes for Johnny Rotten also, after the Pistols one and only studio album he he mellowed to make more dance style music...

UK punk in the late 1970s really only lasted 12-18 months IMHO,but it left a lasting and permanant footprint in the history of rock n roll....

i am not a "punk" expert and do not claim to be.....IMO if its called punk,bands have to have the same angst,energy and streetwise outlook as the Clash and Pistols, and the Dropkick Murphy's come pretty darn close to that "idealism"
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#14
^^Ladies and Gentlemen- I give you the Green Day expert: SteveO.

Thanks for all the info guys Smile
"Music is what feelings sound like"
-Unknown

Now if only we could listen properly we'd get an idea of what its really about.
Reply
#15
Ladies and Gentleman I AM NO EXPERT in anything except in having a blast talking music !!!!! Remember mez, IMHO goes a long way here at MD !!!!!
centermez Wrote:^^Ladies and Gentlemen- I give you the Green Day expert: SteveO.

Thanks for all the info guys Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#16
and I hate to be focused on of all groups ...Green Day ????...I like one song and their live album....that's it...they are very low on my music listening list and appreciation !!!!!,,but if you claim they're not punk then you have to include The Clash ,,,right ..remember IMHO ...lol

centermez Wrote:^^Ladies and Gentlemen- I give you the Green Day expert: SteveO.

Thanks for all the info guys Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#17
Pssssstttt everybody except SteveO... I'm pretty sure he has a feverish closet obsession with Green Day, just humor him.

;D
"Music is what feelings sound like"
-Unknown

Now if only we could listen properly we'd get an idea of what its really about.
Reply
#18
i like this guy immensely!!!!!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.


Reply
#19
ok I give up...you caught me ..must be the green hair ...lol now all of MD knows too,,,thanks a bunch:frown:
centermez Wrote:Pssssstttt everybody except SteveO... I'm pretty sure he has a feverish closet obsession with Green Day, just humor him.

;D
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#20
Sorry SteveO... Maybe someday you'll find room in your heart for me... That is- right next to Joey.
"Music is what feelings sound like"
-Unknown

Now if only we could listen properly we'd get an idea of what its really about.
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW SONG: A$AP Rocky - Punk Rocky Music Head 0 551 25-01-2026, 11:52
Last Post: Music Head
  Punk Rock Doodles of The Ramones dennis1077 0 1,197 27-05-2016, 01:00
Last Post: dennis1077
  Pop-punk: Is it just watered down punk? EllieBrand 1 1,359 03-10-2014, 19:11
Last Post: Music Head
  Cool Short Punk Rock! V-Andrew 0 1,114 12-09-2014, 18:18
Last Post: V-Andrew
  Punk rock!! Mormo Zine 26 7,530 02-09-2014, 23:14
Last Post: Mormo Zine
  Top 5 punk bands? ambernector 95 47,266 18-04-2014, 06:55
Last Post: imamusicfreak
  Punk/ New Wave / Post Punk / Dark Wave - Great Artists/Albums Ian Lambert 9 4,806 03-03-2014, 23:54
Last Post: Benjamin
  Real Punk 2013 Lazarus 0 1,104 13-05-2013, 09:12
Last Post: Lazarus
  Rocket From The Tombs. The real Godfathers of punk? gater 8 3,050 16-09-2011, 20:50
Last Post: gater
  Kleenex/Liliput Fantastic Female Punk coykiesaol 0 1,073 26-04-2011, 07:38
Last Post: coykiesaol

Forum Jump: