Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Weller on "bands reforming"
[Image: paulwellerDC080610.jpg]NextPreviousPhoto Gallery: Paul Weller
Photo: Dean Chalkley
Paul Weller has bemoaned the recent spate of band reunions.

Groups such as Blur, Pulp and Primal Scream have reformed this summer (2012) for comeback shows. Earlier this month (August 6), Weller attended a secret gig in London by the The Stone Roses, the band behind this year's most high-profile reunion.

However, the singer insists that he has no plans to reform his own bands, The Jam and The Style Council, and poured scorn on the trend. He told The Mirror: "It drives me potty to be honest and I am sick of seeing it. It is big business at the moment and I find it really disappointing and I think all the time that is spent on bands reforming and nostalgia. What about the new bands, or young bands, coming in which don't get a look in?"

[Image: 2012PaulWeller02AW020412.jpg]He also suggested that band reunions reflect a lack of creative inspiration, adding: "I don't know what the reason is. Why is it so prevalent? Is it because people stick to what they know or what they are comfortable or safe with? But I think I come from a time when all the artists I grew up with and I loved always used to try and push the boundaries and there doesn’t seem so much of that really. It is the same sort of thing, and I find it disappointing."

Weller, 54, released his eleventh album as a solo artist in March (2012). Titled 'Sonik Kicks', it debuted at Number One on the UK charts. Earlier this month (August 1), he played an intimate gig at London's 100 Club and he has dates lined up in the US and Japan this October (2012).
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

ive got to say that i agree with him wholeheartedly

what do you guys think?
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Guess I don't mind bands reforming for gigs, since I will never see them
It's the new albums that are always disappointing
i saw The Police a few years ago on their reunion tour....i was dissapointed immensely

just thought they lacked the spark and energy....it just seemed like they were 'going through the motions for the sake of the almighty buck!"

mind you, i'd probably go see The Jam,Kinks,Spencer Davis Group,Mamfred Mann if i had the chance even if i knew they would dissapoint me...so i guess there will always be an audience for reformations....

but overall, i do agree with what Weller is saying in his comments, and at least he sticks by what he says, he was offered something like 30 million Euro's toreform the Jam for a UK tour about a decade ago and he refused saying... "times change,people change and you cant recreate what it was in the 1980s"

I think that if there's a decent audience for it then go ahead and reform and give the people what they want! I f they want to record a studio album ...go ahead...no big deal....if it flops so be it ! The live concerts is where it's at today...tons of money to be had.

The older artist...McCartney, Rolling Stones, Elton John, U2, ACDC.....all attract a respectable audience regardless as in some cases their performance has degraded. Remeber the number one target is the money paying music lover.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:i saw The Police a few years ago on their reunion tour....i was dissapointed immensely

just thought they lacked the spark and energy....it just seemed like they were 'going through the motions for the sake of the almighty buck!"

mind you, i'd probably go see The Jam,Kinks,Spencer Davis Group,Mamfred Mann if i had the chance even if i knew they would dissapoint me...so i guess there will always be an audience for reformations....

but overall, i do agree with what Weller is saying in his comments, and at least he sticks by what he says, he was offered something like 30 million Euro's toreform the Jam for a UK tour about a decade ago and he refused saying... "times change,people change and you cant recreate what it was in the 1980s"
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Music Head Wrote:Guess I don't mind bands reforming for gigs, since I will never see them
It's the new albums that are always disappointing
Yeah, I don't mind the gigs though because I've been to a few who have come for a comeback tour and it was great because say the first time they came around I was a little kid and now I get a chance to see them. New albums though are usually crap.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could you recommend some artists and or bands that employ vocals without lyrics ? SteveO 5 1,808 23-05-2022, 08:14
Last Post: JeromeD
  Paul Simon sells off the rights to his vast back catalogue CRAZY-HORSE 0 403 01-04-2021, 14:48
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  a Paul McCartney x Rick Rubin documentary... CRAZY-HORSE 0 435 18-12-2020, 02:42
  the best Paul McCartney interview i have ever heard CRAZY-HORSE 1 442 15-11-2020, 06:09
Last Post: SteveO
  Bands/Artists you just can't stand. carbon_psycho 53 9,302 24-09-2020, 04:04
Last Post: Jerome
  Paul McCartney 15 must hear tracks: CRAZY-HORSE 18 2,083 25-08-2020, 06:49
  new Paul McCartney album on the way... CRAZY-HORSE 0 895 20-07-2017, 00:39
  Anybody feel like joining a band that'll be one of the biggest bands on the planet? zabrak 19 4,039 23-01-2017, 09:46
  Who is Superior, John Lennon or Paul McCartney? amost1972 6 1,692 30-12-2016, 03:50
Last Post: MFS
  Any new post-grunge/90s sounding bands? thanhtb 0 643 10-05-2016, 04:46
Last Post: thanhtb