Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What artists or albums did you have to acquire a taste or likeness for ?
Sometimes we just don't get it ! Everybody is raving about a certain group or album. So we got out and buy it and give it a listen. After the inaugural play we just don't get it ! What's all the fuss about or that album was crap ! (or perhaps after we see them live in concert we appreciate them more than we ever did on CD).

Then we become downright persistent and listen to it again and maybe again. Finally it clicks in and you do get it and hold the album in reverance forever !

One example for me was Radiohead...now I can't get enough of them when I have time. With all the music available today it's difficult sometimes to give an artist more than one listen before dismising them entirely or appreciating them !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Got to be Dylan.........took nearly 40 years but I have done it! I must say that I prefer music you have to work at somehow, it is more satisfying !
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Rush, Yes for me.
Hard to get past those screachy vocals.
Once I did, some damn fine music.
I guess vocals are the main reason for most.
Dylan is a good example. Most can't stand his voice.
Most will say he can't sing.
Of course he can't sing. Even the lovers of him know that.
Same with Cohen.
It's the lyrics.
Cohen took decades for me to appreciate fully(thanks MH)
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Frank Black, I didn't like his solo stuff. I saw him open for the Ramones and completely disregarded him because I was too excited for the punk legends. My husband thought he was great and bought the album he was touring for, Teenager of the Year. I didn't listen to it for like 10 years. Now I love it and have bought other albums. It's odd because I did and do like the Pixies.
The Waterboys took me a while to warm up to. Much like Gryphon & Music Head the vocal quality is what I had to work through. Now I love most of what Mike Scott (the vocalist in question) has worked on. Well worth the effort for me.
Music Head Wrote:Dylan is a good example. Most can't stand his voice.

I know you're not a fan of live albums, Ed, but check out his At Budokan album. He damn near gets there on that one...
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Springsteen took me a long while to get my head around. Didn't see what the fuss was about.

Grateful Dead were another where I was indifferent for the longest time. Probably next to Pink Floyd, I now enjoy listening to live Dead albums above almost anything else. None of their albums would feature anywhere near the top of my faves list, though ?!

I also had a bigtime dislike for Country music until relatively recently. But I'm over myself now..

Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, & John Coltrane's A Love Supreme are all albums that fit into that category to some extent, for me. Don't dislike any of them, but don't feel I appreciate any of them fully.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Unknown
Captain Beefheart
Tim Buckley
Can
Neutral Milk Hotel
Weezer ("Pinkerton" era)
The Who's rock operas
Frank Zappa (Took me a year to figure out the unfocusedness was on purpose)
Nick Drake
Leonard Cohen
Charles Mingus (I once thought "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" was boring, stupid me)
Manic Street Peachers ("The Holy Bible" specfically)
MH, I wouldn't want it any other way !!!! Dylan and Cohen music wouldn't be the same with a polished singer singing their original material !

Andrea Boccelli singing Like A Rolling Stone and Closing Time ....I don't think it would work...lol.

Music Head Wrote:Rush, Yes for me.
Hard to get past those screachy vocals.
Once I did, some damn fine music.
I guess vocals are the main reason for most.
Dylan is a good example. Most can't stand his voice.
Same with Cohen.
It's the lyrics.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW AND NOTABLE: upcoming albums Ruby 241 45,739 11-08-2024, 14:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  best albums of 2023 lists: CRAZY-HORSE 6 1,314 26-12-2023, 07:40
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Underrated Albums & Hidden Gems Ruby 9 985 08-10-2023, 18:59
Last Post: Ruby
  When I say 'relaxing music' what are some of the first albums that come to mind? TraceNspace 19 4,295 07-10-2023, 06:56
Last Post: JeromeD
  What are some STUDIO albums that you can truthfully say that you like all the songs o SteveO 193 25,314 17-08-2023, 03:53
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  2022 EOY albums charts CRAZY-HORSE 1 1,061 13-01-2023, 12:36
  UK Albums Charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 51 4,013 31-12-2022, 07:16
  Australian Albums charts for 2022 CRAZY-HORSE 50 3,928 30-12-2022, 07:32
  2022 EOY "best albums" lists: CRAZY-HORSE 15 1,868 23-12-2022, 07:02
  David Gilmour's five favourite albums CRAZY-HORSE 0 409 19-06-2022, 08:05