Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obscure Classics ?-Judee Sill (1969) by Judee Sill
note: I forgot what number I was on

Judee Sill is my latest discovery. She was a singer/songwriter from the early seventies, sadly overlooked, who died in the late 70s of a drug overdose. Her music was soft, lushly orchestrated folk pop, her lyrics drawed heavily from Christian and occult themes, and her beautiful voice complemented the music wonderfully. Her 1969 debut was simply a masterpiece. I know that term has been so horribly abused, but I simply don't know how else to tell how good it is. This is a gem that has to be unearthed, and I really really hope people check this one out
Excellent choice ! She is known as "The Heroine Angel" for obvious reasons if you look at her life story......................He life story is really interesting but really sad recently there was an album of her work at the BBC released which is really excellent too.I have the first album and often play it ...........Heart food is also good I'm told.
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Allright if we're talking about obscurity i have to mention Tim Curry. He actually released a couple of albums in the 70's and they weren't that bad. He has a great raspy/bluesy voice and he wrote some amazing songs like Sloe Gin and No love on the streets, which if you're a Bonamassa fan you might reconize.
So i would state Tim Curry's Singing career as an obscure classic. Smile
Never heard of Judee but I have to admit it sounds really interesting. I have been listening to a lot of Edith Piaf recently. Something I would not normally listen to but I find it quite fascinating. Raw emotion. I think I am losing it.....
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Another obscure folk singer is Liz Harris...she goes by the name of Grouper and her album ...horrible title....Dragging a Dead Deer Uphill... is excellent...a favorite of Brian Eno I might add.....low tempo and very ethereal !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I believe this is #5, Matt

mtthwibrahim Wrote:note: I forgot what number I was on

Judee Sill is my latest discovery. She was a singer/songwriter from the early seventies, sadly overlooked, who died in the late 70s of a drug overdose. Her music was soft, lushly orchestrated folk pop, her lyrics drawed heavily from Christian and occult themes, and her beautiful voice complemented the music wonderfully. Her 1969 debut was simply a masterpiece. I know that term has been so horribly abused, but I simply don't know how else to tell how good it is. This is a gem that has to be unearthed, and I really really hope people check this one out
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking Back At Some Classics Music Head 873 91,772 03-05-2014, 05:27
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Obscure Classics 11: The Wayward Bus by the Magnetic Fields mtthwibrahim 1 737 21-04-2012, 09:18
Last Post: Music Head
  Obscure Classics 1: The Dance of the Moon and the Sun by Natural Snow Buildings mtthwibrahim 16 2,502 20-04-2012, 18:05
Last Post: SteveO
  Obscure Classics 10: Dante's Disneyland Inferno by Sun City Girls mtthwibrahim 2 960 27-02-2012, 21:17
  Obscure Calssics 9: Like Flies on Sherbert by Alex Chilton mtthwibrahim 3 1,535 23-02-2012, 02:14
Last Post: gater
  Obscure Classic 5: Unjust Malaise by Julius Eastman mtthwibrahim 0 591 04-01-2012, 21:51
Last Post: mtthwibrahim
  Obscure Classics 4: Divine Music From A Jail by Oiduppa Vladimir Oiun mtthwibrahim 0 1,009 23-12-2011, 07:24
Last Post: mtthwibrahim
  Obscure Classics 3: Repent by Charles Gayle mtthwibrahim 1 940 11-12-2011, 20:22
  78rpm Classics gryphon 8 2,202 07-12-2011, 19:26
Last Post: gryphon
  Obscure Classics 2: Icky Mettle by Archers of Loaf mtthwibrahim 1 774 29-11-2011, 03:23