Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obscure Calssics 9: Like Flies on Sherbert by Alex Chilton
I'm sure all of us at MD are familiar with Alex Chilton as the leader of the now legendary Big Star, but I doubt many are familiar with his solo career. Now, I'm going to get this out of the way right now; if you're lookingfor the pop perfection found on any of Big Star's classic, you will not find it here. The sound of "Like Flies on Sherbert" is pure nihilism. Chilton, after enduring the soul-crushing depression documented on "Third/Sister Lovers", Chilton just gave up, sat down, and recorded some songs as fast as he could. The quality is quite cheap and the playing is very sloppy, so it's a bit hard to get into, but once you do you will find it quite gratifying. I suppose I like it so much because I identify with the way Chilton feels; nothing at all, but musically, "Like Flies on Sherbert" is still an excellent of sloppy rock'n'roll perfection
I'm more of a Box Tops guy

Didn't realise Chilton hasd solo material out there ! Thanks, Matt !
mtthwibrahim Wrote:I'm sure all of us at MD are familiar with Alex Chilton as the leader of the now legendary Big Star, but I doubt many are familiar with his solo career. Now, I'm going to get this out of the way right now; if you're lookingfor the pop perfection found on any of Big Star's classic, you will not find it here. The sound of "Like Flies on Sherbert" is pure nihilism. Chilton, after enduring the soul-crushing depression documented on "Third/Sister Lovers", Chilton just gave up, sat down, and recorded some songs as fast as he could. The quality is quite cheap and the playing is very sloppy, so it's a bit hard to get into, but once you do you will find it quite gratifying. I suppose I like it so much because I identify with the way Chilton feels; nothing at all, but musically, "Like Flies on Sherbert" is still an excellent of sloppy rock'n'roll perfection
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Just released in February 2012, the material you refer to is now on a disc called "Free Again: The 1970 Sessions", on Omnivore.
"The EMI Song" sounds pretty good actually, and there are some covers on the collection as well.
You can live in staunch denile and mark me as your enemy, but I'm just a voice among the throng who want a brighter destiny, and say with me, "We are the New America!" -Greg Graffin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obscure Classics 11: The Wayward Bus by the Magnetic Fields mtthwibrahim 1 737 21-04-2012, 09:18
Last Post: Music Head
  Obscure Classics 1: The Dance of the Moon and the Sun by Natural Snow Buildings mtthwibrahim 16 2,502 20-04-2012, 18:05
Last Post: SteveO
  Obscure Classics 10: Dante's Disneyland Inferno by Sun City Girls mtthwibrahim 2 961 27-02-2012, 21:17
  Obscure Classics ?-Judee Sill (1969) by Judee Sill mtthwibrahim 5 1,108 15-01-2012, 19:30
  Obscure Classic 5: Unjust Malaise by Julius Eastman mtthwibrahim 0 591 04-01-2012, 21:51
Last Post: mtthwibrahim
  Obscure Classics 4: Divine Music From A Jail by Oiduppa Vladimir Oiun mtthwibrahim 0 1,009 23-12-2011, 07:24
Last Post: mtthwibrahim
  Obscure Classics 3: Repent by Charles Gayle mtthwibrahim 1 940 11-12-2011, 20:22
  Obscure Classics 2: Icky Mettle by Archers of Loaf mtthwibrahim 1 775 29-11-2011, 03:23
  Obscure unknown artists. SteveO 1 655 10-07-2011, 15:15
Last Post: gryphon
  Interesting Web Magazine for 60/70 obscure bands and fringe music gryphon 2 1,047 25-08-2010, 22:49
Last Post: Music Head