12-07-2025, 11:04
One thing leads to another – that is the rationale for this week’s song which is “Wild Mountain Thyme”. I had heard a rendition on a Strawbs album recently, and have known several other versions over the years, so I decided to investigate how many covers had been made, and by whom. There are 103 entries on Wiki, which is unlikely to be absolute – there appear to be many, many in excess of that number – some more appealing than others, depending on who’s listening I guess!
It is based on a variant of the song "The Braes of Balquhither" by Scottish poet Robert Tannahill (1774–1810) and Scottish composer Robert Archibald Smith. The currently used adaptation is credited to one Francis McPeake, of Belfast, who wrote and refined it in 1947. It was first recorded in 1957, by a family member – another Francis McPeake, and McPeake, the band, continues to uphold the legacy today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4ltVZ9GW0. I can’t find a clip of the 1957 recording which I would like to hear some time!
I wanted to find out why the song speaks of ‘pulling’ wild mountain thyme, specifically, and from what I can gather (pardon the pun), this speaks to a method of removing the fragrant leaves whilst allowing the plant to remain intact – probably using an implement that the end of a stalk could be threaded through and then pulled to release said leaves. It grows in between the heather, and the reason for wanting the plant to stay intact, rather than cutting it back, would be that in Celtic lore, thyme patches were the playground of the fairies, and one would not want to disturb them – that might lead to all sorts of trouble! The harvesting would also take place at the change of the seasons, which were seen to be intensely magical and the best times to pick herbs for medicinal use – they believed that the plant was more potent then, and they were not wrong. I find it completely fascinating that kernels of truths are so often hidden in folk tales and traditional practices, and that they make complete scientific sense although the people may not have known that then, i.e. harvesting or planting by the phases of the moon. Aside from its use as a flavouring, thyme is said to be a good sleep aid, to attract love, loyalty and affection, and to help ease grief and provide courage and strength.
Anyway – I found two covers that are quite enchanting to me. One by a very young Marianne Faithfull – a lovely unembellished rendition, her voice as clear as a bell. Recorded in 1966 on her 3rd album, North Country Maid, and complete with sitar, I think!
The second is by Gerry Rafferty and was produced by his daughter Martha for the posthumously released album Rest in Blue. So poignant …
PS - I recall having misgivings about Rest in Blue at the time - thought there were pieces on the album that would not have made the cut in Mr Rafferty's view - him being a stickler and all. But who am I to say?? And does it matter, in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Here endeth today's lesson.
It is based on a variant of the song "The Braes of Balquhither" by Scottish poet Robert Tannahill (1774–1810) and Scottish composer Robert Archibald Smith. The currently used adaptation is credited to one Francis McPeake, of Belfast, who wrote and refined it in 1947. It was first recorded in 1957, by a family member – another Francis McPeake, and McPeake, the band, continues to uphold the legacy today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4ltVZ9GW0. I can’t find a clip of the 1957 recording which I would like to hear some time!
I wanted to find out why the song speaks of ‘pulling’ wild mountain thyme, specifically, and from what I can gather (pardon the pun), this speaks to a method of removing the fragrant leaves whilst allowing the plant to remain intact – probably using an implement that the end of a stalk could be threaded through and then pulled to release said leaves. It grows in between the heather, and the reason for wanting the plant to stay intact, rather than cutting it back, would be that in Celtic lore, thyme patches were the playground of the fairies, and one would not want to disturb them – that might lead to all sorts of trouble! The harvesting would also take place at the change of the seasons, which were seen to be intensely magical and the best times to pick herbs for medicinal use – they believed that the plant was more potent then, and they were not wrong. I find it completely fascinating that kernels of truths are so often hidden in folk tales and traditional practices, and that they make complete scientific sense although the people may not have known that then, i.e. harvesting or planting by the phases of the moon. Aside from its use as a flavouring, thyme is said to be a good sleep aid, to attract love, loyalty and affection, and to help ease grief and provide courage and strength.
Anyway – I found two covers that are quite enchanting to me. One by a very young Marianne Faithfull – a lovely unembellished rendition, her voice as clear as a bell. Recorded in 1966 on her 3rd album, North Country Maid, and complete with sitar, I think!
The second is by Gerry Rafferty and was produced by his daughter Martha for the posthumously released album Rest in Blue. So poignant …
PS - I recall having misgivings about Rest in Blue at the time - thought there were pieces on the album that would not have made the cut in Mr Rafferty's view - him being a stickler and all. But who am I to say?? And does it matter, in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Here endeth today's lesson.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

