Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'punk' definition please
ca sumone tell me what defines a 'punk' band nowadays, cos i was told that gaslight anthem are a punk band??? how is this so???
i may be old fashioned, but punk to me is sex pistols and the clash, lyrics that deal with social issues and working class rebelling against the establishment. where and how did it change.
i ca understand why green day may be called punk but gaslight anthem?? if they are punk then surely you have to call bruce springsteen,john cougar punk
i dunno, im confused, you tell me
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

I think whoever told you Gaslight Anthem are a Punk band, is a long way off the mark. I'd classify them as an Alternative band, with Classic Rock tendencies.

I'd also agree with you that Punk consists of the bands you've mentioned, plus their US counterparts such as Ramones, and I feel that the movement didn't last long - a couple of years, if that - and that most of what has followed down the years has been an affectionate homage to the trail-blazers.

Genres is tricky devils...
thanks tiggi...you confirmed my suspicions.
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Yeah, historically it is known that there were 2 distinct punk rock movements one longer than the other. In the US we saw the first punk rockers - Lou Reed's The Velvet Underground as well as Hell's Televison emerge and influence the entire nation and ultimately produce one of Rock and Roll's most iconic acts, The Ramones around '75. Then, around the same time, we saw the some of the greatest and most famous punk bands emerge in the UK, most notably The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Buzzcocks, which was around '76-'77.

Anything other than those two time periods should not really be considered punk or punk rock. A Gaslight Anthem is not punk, punk-inspired but they are really broadly under the Alternative Rock genre but also have some Rock and Roll elements particularly since they did emerge from New Jersey and thus were influenced by "The Boss". Now, if we were to analyse Green Day, they are not punk (and I've already had several rants with people about this) but really they are pop musicians and at best you could classify them as pop-punkers to this day and age.

Now onto your definition of punk, in particular the lyrics and meaning that are often associated with punk music, yes it is usually rebellious music and "stick it to the man" lyrics but punk rock was simply about making a point, with anger, protest and simplicity. We all know what those bands were trying to tell us, and their simple 3 chord songs made it even easier. But, you cannot classify The Boss as punk, he is a stadium rocker and a heartland rocker in his earlier days in Jersey. Just like we never associate Dylan with punk. Yeah, he protested but he wrote folk songs.
Got some time on your hands? Or wanna check out new (or old) music? Come have a read - http://www.wecalleditmusic.com/
maybe u misunderstood my comments about the boss, i was just saying that if gaslightl anthem are classed as punk, which i had doubts of myself, then tongue in cheek, the boss must be also, being that he and the anthem have a similar sound, which is the point i have try to make amongst those that told me they were 'punk'
you know, there are far too many genres/classifications of music nowadays, music has been complicated by all these sub-genres etc...its bullshit basically!
either way, its either good or bad music, and there are in all, dare i say it, genres

jwee5467 Wrote:Yeah, historically it is known that there were 2 distinct punk rock movements one longer than the other. In the US we saw the first punk rockers - Lou Reed's The Velvet Underground as well as Hell's Televison emerge and influence the entire nation and ultimately produce one of Rock and Roll's most iconic acts, The Ramones around '75.

I can't believe you failed to mention Iggy Pop & the Stooges
jwee5467 Wrote:Anything other than those two time periods should not really be considered punk or punk rock.

What? Not even early 80s Hardcore Punk? (Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Discharge)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Punk Rock Doodles of The Ramones dennis1077 0 867 27-05-2016, 01:00
Last Post: dennis1077
  What is the true definition of Alternative Rock today? sho69607 0 921 05-01-2016, 01:44
Last Post: sho69607
  Pop-punk: Is it just watered down punk? EllieBrand 1 847 03-10-2014, 19:11
Last Post: Music Head
  Cool Short Punk Rock! V-Andrew 0 685 12-09-2014, 18:18
Last Post: V-Andrew
  Punk rock!! Mormo Zine 26 3,985 02-09-2014, 23:14
Last Post: Mormo Zine
  Top 5 punk bands? ambernector 95 25,205 18-04-2014, 06:55
Last Post: imamusicfreak
  Punk/ New Wave / Post Punk / Dark Wave - Great Artists/Albums Ian Lambert 9 3,064 03-03-2014, 23:54
Last Post: Benjamin
  Real Punk 2013 Lazarus 0 798 13-05-2013, 09:12
Last Post: Lazarus
  I have never listened to punk centermez 30 8,149 08-03-2012, 09:31
Last Post: morre
  Rocket From The Tombs. The real Godfathers of punk? gater 8 1,721 16-09-2011, 20:50
Last Post: gater