Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Favorite Fusion Group?
#31
Good choice! Then again, I think any of SG's selections would be a good choice.
Reply
#32
danielkr94 Wrote:I can't think of a favorite group, but i really love the jazz/rock fusion that Santana played during the 70's.
Especially albums like, Illuminations, Love Devotion Surrender(in which he played with John Mclaughin) and Swing of Delight,
stands high on my list of favorites.

Jerome Wrote:Try 'Oneness' by Carlos 'Devadip' Santana. Superb. (I think it's subtiltled 'Silver Dreams - Golden Reality' or something along those lines).

danielkr94 Wrote:Oh yeah i've heard that one, it's really a great album as well, i especially love the tracks Guru's Song and Oneness

Hopping in late to the discussion but all the above quoted are excellent. I think the song in general "Oneness" is some of his best soloing work, and "Flame-Sky" from Welcome is probably my favorite by the guy in general. Just so beautiful. Have any of you guys ever heard "A Live Supreme?" Its a live bootleg from the '73 Santana + McLaughlin tour. I just found it a couple weeks back, and have to say its probably my favorite live performance ever. Just ridiculous.

Aside from my Santana love, I'm just starting to get into the fusion movement. I'm really digging the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, though I find myself liking their earlier, and less funky, stuff. I'm really digging "The Inner Mounting Flame." Also really dig the Davis classic "Bitches Brew." I only point this out not to write an autobiography, but to ask you guys who have much more knowledge on this subject what else you'd think I'd like. Always trying to expand my horizons. Smile Thanks for any help.
Reply
#33
I love Flame-Sky it's definitely my favorite piece from the Welcome album, unfortunately i haven't heard A Live Supreme, but after your recomendation i'm going to look it up right awaySmile
I have to admit i'm not as big a Jazz/fusion fan as i am a Santana fan, so Jerome is probably the guy who has the most knowledge on the subject. However i just recently discovered that John Mclaughlin started a group in the late 70's called Shatki, where he really got to show of his skills on a acoustic guitar by playing an interesting mix of jazz/fusion and traditional indian music, it might not be your style, but i would definitely recomend checking it out.
Reply
#34
danielkr94 Wrote:However i just recently discovered that John Mclaughlin started a group in the late 70's called Shatki, where he really got to show of his skills on a acoustic guitar by playing an interesting mix of jazz/fusion and traditional indian music, it might not be your style, but i would definitely recomend checking it out.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking it up as I type.
Reply
#35
you should check out those swedish guys called "dirty loops", they really
play fusion music one a brutally high level!

greetings,
thierry
Reply
#36
Yes Shatki is incredible!!!!
danielkr94 Wrote:I love Flame-Sky it's definitely my favorite piece from the Welcome album, unfortunately i haven't heard A Live Supreme, but after your recomendation i'm going to look it up right awaySmile
I have to admit i'm not as big a Jazz/fusion fan as i am a Santana fan, so Jerome is probably the guy who has the most knowledge on the subject. However i just recently discovered that John Mclaughlin started a group in the late 70's called Shatki, where he really got to show of his skills on a acoustic guitar by playing an interesting mix of jazz/fusion and traditional indian music, it might not be your style, but i would definitely recomend checking it out.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply
#37
Gotta agree. Looked up Shakti and bought the original album and "A Handful of Beauty." Incredible stuff. When I get the money, at some point I'll pick up their last "Natural Elements." Thanks for the heads up on them.
Reply
#38
Billy Cobham is my favorite group.
Reply
#39
F. Gambale, S. Clarke, S. Jordan. The new band The Aristocrats, though if they play jazz, it's just a pinch of it Cool
Reply
#40
sort of prog rock also...these guys are tremendous musicians ...thanks Ivan !
IvanMC Wrote:F. Gambale, S. Clarke, S. Jordan. The new band The Aristocrats, though if they play jazz, it's just a pinch of it Cool
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Jazz Pianists and Drummers? Nick Dilley 19 7,916 09-07-2021, 09:10
Last Post: JeromeD
Video Jazz/Rock Fusion? Dissily Mordentroge 0 853 16-10-2019, 10:39
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge
  Top Electronic Group Marconi Union Expands Their Sound With Horns Eugena 1 1,301 14-09-2016, 13:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Explore And Delight In the Avant-Garde World-Fusion Of Guy Buttery Eugena 0 1,199 13-04-2016, 22:29
Last Post: Eugena
  Karimata 1987-1991? Indonesian fusion Otviss 9 4,649 28-03-2016, 12:48
Last Post: Otviss
  My favorite song patrickowen21 0 1,280 15-11-2015, 06:58
Last Post: patrickowen21
  One Could Make The Argument That The Group Anima Makes Perfect New Age Music Eugena 0 1,333 09-09-2015, 12:16
Last Post: Eugena
  New Fusion Supergroup LMD 1 1,468 06-09-2015, 02:52
Last Post: R_burke
  America's premier vocal group jazzboCR 0 1,012 20-04-2015, 00:58
Last Post: jazzboCR
  Smooth Jazz Bassist Mitchell Coleman Jr. Is Taking Funk/Fusion By Storm fuschiaorchid 0 1,011 12-03-2015, 02:15
Last Post: fuschiaorchid

Forum Jump: